website statistics

Men's Football Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

5 of the 11 players who started yesterday against Italy will be going to the Olympics, so I will be highly diassapointed if we don't manage to get a medal in Tokyo. We failed miserably in London 2012 and our last medal dates back to Sidney 2000, so it's time to bring the fourth football medal to the country (gold in 1992 and silver in 1920 and 2000).

¡Vamos España! :ESP 

3 hours ago, Cobi said:

5 of the 11 players who started yesterday against Italy will be going to the Olympics, so I will be highly diassapointed if we don't manage to get a medal in Tokyo. We failed miserably in London 2012 and our last medal dates back to Sidney 2000, so it's time to bring the fourth football medal to the country (gold in 1992 and silver in 1920 and 2000).

¡Vamos España! :ESP 

Spain has a great squad and they are in my opinion the favorites for Gold. However, I wonder whether especially those players will perform as expected. They had a long season with their clubs, the European Championships right afterwards and now, after a break of a few days, the next big tournament waiting. So it's absolutely possible that they are reaching their physical and mental limits and are not able to perform on the level which they showed us during the Euro.

Still, if Germany manages to reach the QF I really hope we can avoid Spain there ;)

3 hours ago, LowerSaxony said:

Spain has a great squad and they are in my opinion the favorites for Gold. However, I wonder whether especially those players will perform as expected. They had a long season with their clubs, the European Championships right afterwards and now, after a break of a few days, the next big tournament waiting. So it's absolutely possible that they are reaching their physical and mental limits and are not able to perform on the level which they showed us during the Euro.

Still, if Germany manages to reach the QF I really hope we can avoid Spain there ;)

Let's see how they recover physically, especially Pedri who has played all the games in the EURO and the whole season with his club. I agree that it might be a problem if they are not at the same level that these days, but even without the 6 players, I think it's possible to make a competitive team.

For example, Marco Asensio, Dani Ceballos or Bryan Gil have already played for the senior team, but this season they haven't played much due to different reasons, so this is a very good opportunity for these 3 guys to show how good they are and convince Luis Enrique to make the senior list in September. And I would also add to this list the name of Rafa Mir, he's quite unknown, even in Spain, since he plays for Huesca, but in my opinion he can be part of the senior team this season considering the low level of Spanish forwards. He plays different compared to Dani Olmo or Mikel Oyarzábal, which is always nice to introduce some tactical variations during the game.

Anyways, I don't like the draw at all. Facing Germany or Brazil (if we get through the group stage) in QF is not going to be easy. Good luck!

I think on paper Spain have the better team but this is a team sport and for instance you can see "worst" player becoming great because of the team spirit.

I was a very bad football player when I was young but my strength is my stamina and I keep running everywhere to help my teammate, they always thank me for this support that let them on offensive duty.

A well known french journalist says that the beauty in sport is the "glorious uncertainty of sport" that let the small win some times