website statistics

Men's Football UEFA Under 21 European Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 2 years later...

What will happen, if both France and England reach the Semifinal at the U21 Euro? Will the Quarterfinalists get ranked to deduce the last Olympic qualifier, or will there be an additional match/tournament?

Edited by EselTheDonkey

9 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

What will happen, if both France and England reach the Semifinal at the U21 Euro? Will the Quarterfinalists get ranked to deduce the last Olympic qualifier, or will there be an additional match/tournament?

If we both got to the Semi's then I believe the spot will still provisionally go to us as I don't think it's been 100% confirmed that there won't be an agreement before next year. If we haven't reached an agreement come next year then I assume it'll go to the highest ranked EU nation from the FIFA rankings yet to qualify.  

35 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

If we haven't reached an agreement come next year then I assume it'll go to the highest ranked EU nation from the FIFA rankings yet to qualify.  

Sorry, but this I don't believe. And anyway, it shouldn't. The FIFA ranking ranks the A-teams. They shouldn't use this to qualify a U21.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

11 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Sorry, but this I don't believe. And anyway, it shouldn't. The FIFA ranking ranks the A-teams. They shouldn't use this to qualify a U21.

Nothing's set in stone, but in a lot of Olympic sports they use rankings to reallocate quotas so I wouldn't be surprised if they did this here. Also, it isn't entirely an U21's tournament as you're allowed to use 3 players over that age - so this would sort of justify using the main rankings.    

from the Official Regulations of the UEFA U-21 Championship 2021/2023

19.06. The three best ranked teams of the UEFA Under-21 2023 final tournament qualify for the men’s football tournament of the Olympic Games 2024 and will join France, automatically qualified as host.

19.07. Depending on the number of eligible teams involved in the quarter- and semifinals, an Olympic play-off match may be necessary to identify the third-best team of the final tournament.

This match could be held between the two semi-finalists not progressing to the final or between the two best quarter-finalists not progressing to the semi-finals.

The UEFA administration will confirm the applicable scenario during the final tournament as well as the match date and venue*.

19.08. If the two best quarter-finalists are to be determined, the following criteria would apply, in the order given:

a. higher position in their group on completion of the final tournament group stage;

b. higher number of points in the final tournament group stage;

c. superior goal difference in the final tournament group stage;

d. higher number of goals scored in the final tournament group stage;

e. superior goal difference in the quarter-finals after normal time;

f. higher number of goals scored in the quarter-finals after normal time;

g. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in the final tournament group stage and quarter-finals (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

h. higher position in the UEFA Under-21 National team coefficient rankings used for the final draw (see Annex A.1.2.b).

19.09. The Olympic play-off match is a single-leg knock-out match. If the match is undecided after normal time, two 15-minute periods of extra time are played and, if needed, the winner is determined by kicks from the penalty mark.

*the play-off match will be played in Bucharest on July 7th (h.21.00 CET) or July 8th (h.15.00 CET) depending on teams' need and on TV networks requests.

Full Document

https://documents.uefa.com/viewer/book-attachment/UHURcUy4suMkqZq5e_fvxw/d0QswBzyaD0YfufbYgJkYw

On 6/20/2023 at 8:34 PM, Cinnamon Bun said:

If we both got to the Semi's then I believe the spot will still provisionally go to us as I don't think it's been 100% confirmed that there won't be an agreement before next year. If we haven't reached an agreement come next year then I assume it'll go to the highest ranked EU nation from the FIFA rankings yet to qualify.  

Is this for both the men and women? Or only for the men's tournament?

9 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Is this for both the men and women? Or only for the men's tournament?

Only the Men's. It's cuz Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland feel FIFA will make them merge with England to form a Great Britain team due to them not putting in good performances compared to England. Although since Tokyo, Wales have qualified for a Euros and a World Cup and Scotland look set to qualify for Euro 24 so they might be swayed to agreeing to team up.