website statistics

Men's American Football NFL 2021

Totallympics

SF 49ers traded to #3 in the the draft which suggests they're taking a QB. So Jimmy Garoppolo's days as the starter are basically over. Question is whether SF traded him to Patriots before the new season or in 2022 since Cam Newton has only signed another 1-year deal and we all know Bellichick loves Garoppolo.

48 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

No new season thread yet so I'll post this here. SF 49ers traded to #3 in the the draft which suggests they're taking a QB. So Jimmy Garoppolo's days as the starter are basically over. Question is whether SF traded him to Patriots before the new season or in 2022 since Cam Newton has only signed another 1-year deal and we all know Bellichick loves Garoppolo.

they might take Devonta from 'Bama to give JimmyG a reliable target on both the short and deep passing routes, instead (they already signed some good linemen to improve their QB protection)...

imho no other above the average QB would eventually move this year, except for DeShaun (if can stay out of jail, considered his last off the field performances)...

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

they might take Devonta from 'Bama to give JimmyG a reliable target on both the short and deep passing routes, instead (they already signed some good linemen to improve their QB protection)...

imho no other above the average QB would eventually move this year, except for DeShaun (if can stay out of jail, considered his last off the field performances)...

No way someone is moving up to Top 5 to draft a WR. No way. It's a QB move. Niners take either Trey Lance or Zach Wilson IMO. Garoppolo's frequent injuries have worn out Shanahan & Lynch big time.

Smith could be a target for Miami at #6 now. Either him or D'Marr Chase. Penai Sewell ain't falling past the Bengals at #5.

The big question is what the Falcons do at #4. They brought back Matt Ryan and they have a terrible defense but I don't think a defensive guy goes Top 5 in this draft. They could also draft a WR or TE Kyle Pitts to further boost the offense with Julio Jones not getting any younger and the TE spot vulnerable after they traded Austin Hooper away last year.

43 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

No way someone is moving up to Top 5 to draft a WR. No way. It's a QB move. Niners take either Trey Lance or Zach Wilson IMO. Garoppolo's frequent injuries have worn out Shanahan & Lynch big time.

Smith could be a target for Miami at #6 now. Either him or D'Marr Chase. Penai Sewell ain't falling past the Bengals at #5.

The big question is what the Falcons do at #4. They brought back Matt Ryan and they have a terrible defense but I don't think a defensive guy goes Top 5 in this draft. They could also draft a WR or TE Kyle Pitts to further boost the offense with Julio Jones not getting any younger and the TE spot vulnerable after they traded Austin Hooper away last year.

if the Niners want to be competitive and get back to the SB soon, I don't think taking a young QB like Lance or Wilson is the right move, I'd rather take Sewell and look for a trade to get an experienced backup QB to protect the team from JimmyG possible injuries...

in their first couple of years, Lance or Wilson wouldn't give SF a lot more than a Beathard of this world...they're not Lawrence...

if he's still available, the Falcons are going to call Wilson for sure...and Atlanta might be the right place for him, more than SF (or the Jets, even if I'm reading more and more often that they're going to call Sewell at no.2 and either stay with Darnold or find the way to bring DeShaun in NY)...

we'll see how it goes very soon...;)

26 minutes ago, phelps said:

if the Niners want to be competitive and get back to the SB soon, I don't think taking a young QB like Lance or Wilson is the right move, I'd rather take Sewell and look for a trade to get an experienced backup QB to protect the team from JimmyG possible injuries...

in their first couple of years, Lance or Wilson wouldn't give SF a lot more than a Beathard of this world...they're not Lawrence...

if he's still available, the Falcons are going to call Wilson for sure...and Atlanta might be the right place for him, more than SF (or the Jets, even if I'm reading more and more often that they're going to call Sewell at no.2 and either stay with Darnold or find the way to bring DeShaun in NY)...

Garoppolo has been injured 3 of the 4 seasons he started in NFL. That's a wash. Plus this roster is build to win now. They just made Trent Williams the highest-paid tackle and they will be paying big bucks to George Kittle (extension) and Nick Bosa sooner than you know it. It's exactly time to draft a young QB and let him play for nothing while all the big contributors eat up the salary. Garoppolo's deal is a bargain but he can't stay healthy and NFC West is a juggernaut with Wilson, Stafford and Murray. This is not NFC East where you can win it with Ryan Fitzpatrick (as WFT thinks they can).

6 hours ago, phelps said:

You don't trade up and give up 2 future first rounds to take an offensive lineman.  Clearly the Niners have someone specific in mind they really want and I don't i'ts Sewell.

I'm a Jets fan and I'm still not sure what they plan on doing, but reportedly, they didn't even discuss trade possibilities with the 49ers.  Which to me indicates they want to stay at #2 it probably means they'll take a QB.  They took an OT in the 1st round last year.  Don't think they'd do it again (but this is the Jets, so they'll probably find a way to screw it up)

• 2 weeks later...

NY Jets have traded QB Sam Darnold to Carolina Panthers for 6th rd pick + 2nd & 4th rounders next year. So, it's basically official Zach Wilson will go #2 overall in the draft. That leaves either Lance or Fields for 49ers at #3.

Panthers decided that whomever falls to #8 (Mac Jones, Lance or Fields) isn't a better option than Darnold who is only 23yo after all. I suppose Panthers exercise the 5th year option and play him for the next two seasons (unless he really sucks).

• 4 weeks later...

Trevor Lawrence #1 to Jaguars (duh), Zach Wilson #2 to Jets (duh), Trey Lance #3 to 49ers (big swing for the QB with high-upside). I admire 49ers taking such a swing over Mac Jones who is really the fifth best QB in the class but was heavily rumoured to be their choice for weeks.