website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

31 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I suspect the first thing that any lawyer is going to say is "Try to resolve this within the Brazilian Skiing Governing Body" and then, failing that, within the Brazilian Olympic Committee, and after that via the FIS and it's only after all those roads have been exhausted that the CAS is going to even consider taking the case.  :( 

In other words, you will be in for a long fight.  I was in a discussion on another board this week about Claudia Pechstein's 2009 doping ban, and as far as I could see from Wikipedia the litigation arising from that is still being argued about & is not fully resolved. 

CAS however has a unit working to quickly resolve cases before the Olympics. This mostly regards appeals on Olympic qualification or selection. But I am not familiar with exact requirements needed to present this kind of case on CAS.

#banbestmen

8WvkcE7.png

All other Brazilians are on there as well (two of whom are still on their way from Poland), which should mean that the federation won't suddenly decide not to count these races. You never know, but that seems good...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Sara Ponya :HUN is still not eligible for the Olympics, but she is starting in biathlon's IBU Cup tomorrow. Not sure if she knows she needs better FIS points or not.

Fingers crossed for Bruna.:fingers: I'll say a prayer.

She got a 242 or so in Campra, maybe she thinks one sub-300 is enough? I mean, that'd be very poor reading of the rules, but I can't think of another explanation other than "Nah never mind, don't want to go anyway"...

Who knows, maybe if this doesn't work out for Ponya and Hungary has to give back their quota, that one and Thailand's second spot are the first two returned spots on the way to a third Brazilian ticket, possibly making this whole mess of the past two months a moot point :lol: 

Spoiler

I highly, highly doubt there will be that many reallocated spots, of course, not seeing it as a realistic option :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

FhIj1O0.png

If my calculations are correct (and luckily this season so far they generally are), that should result in these points:

Jaque 103,36
Bruna 186,36
Mika 218,28
Duda 241,58

Putting Bruna roughly 140 points ahead of Duda in the internal ranking now (I'll wait a little with that until the points are on the FIS website and I enter them in my table)!

37 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

FhIj1O0.png

If my calculations are correct (and luckily this season so far they generally are), that should result in these points:

Jaque 103,36
Bruna 186,36
Mika 218,28
Duda 241,58

Putting Bruna roughly 140 points ahead of Duda in the internal ranking now (I'll wait a little with that until the points are on the FIS website and I enter them in my table)!

Awesome! How did you get it sorted in the end? Did the federation come through?

8 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Awesome! How did you get it sorted in the end? Did the federation come through?

I have no idea, but once everyone was on the start list, I tried to stop thinking about that part :d 

It's on the FIS website now, so I'll count the points. And I was 100% correct :d 

Which means this is now the new situation, with that dreadful Engadin horror show finally gone!

dpnL1n9.png

Mika is 2 points ahead, but doesn't have the sub-300 sprint average and doesn't seem likely to get that, so that shouldn't matter much. Even if somehow she does get it, Bruna still has much more space to improve her results with Zlatibor tomorrow and a sprint and classic in Switzerland in the weekend.

Duda still has a 481 sprint she can improve in Switzerland, but if Bruna and Duda score somewhat similar points in the three races that are left, Bruna ends up 80-100 points in front of her anyway. That is, with equal points, but as we saw today it's far from unlikely that Bruna gets better points.

At least it's finally back in her own hands now!

13 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Sara Ponya :HUN is still not eligible for the Olympics, but she is starting in biathlon's IBU Cup tomorrow. Not sure if she knows she needs better FIS points or not.

As mentioned in the IBU Cup thread....she was a DNS there today. I wondered if maybe, just maybe she would try another cross-country race, with the Argentina-organized races in Lebanon (Cedars) by far being the 'easiest' option in terms of results (maybe not so much in terms of travel). And guess what....

Spoiler

6ieXQzl.png