website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

And that's a first South American title for the Norwegian-Chilean Sebastian Endrestad, winning the freestyle sprint ahead of Basque-Brazilian Manex Silva and full Brazilian Victor Santos. Cesar Baena of Venezuela, who went public with his non-stop complaints about the qualifying system, was there as well, one and a half minute behind the fastest time in the three-minute qualifying.

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=CC&raceid=39333

Convincing fastest time in qualifying for @brunamoura, but a tactical mistake in the final cost her the win: never go into a long downhill first, especially with the wind coming from the front. Ceci Dominguez of Argentina and Brazilian Duda Ribera passed her out of the slipstream, Duda took the win. It's fine, qualifying is the main thing in the Olympic battle anyway (at least according to the Brazilian federation's own criteria at the moment).

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=CC&raceid=39332

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Cesar Baena of Venezuela, who went public with his non-stop complaints about the qualifying system, was there as well, one and a half minute behind the fastest time in the three-minute qualifying.

His claims were never about skiers weaker than him qualifying. He is roughly at the same level as them, if not lower.

He merely got (extremely) jealous because the Project Bogota played smart.

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

His claims were never about skiers weaker than him qualifying. He is roughly at the same level as them, if not lower.

He merely got (extremely) jealous because the Project Bogota played smart.

That is basically what I meant, just found it curious to see him compete there and be that far behind. His level is higher than some of Project Bogota, like Mexican German Madrazo and his buddy (I should mention@mrv86 here), but way lower than some others there.

Anyhow, merely a curiousity, nothing more :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oh and in the women's races there's a Taiwanese lady, Christine Kan, about whom I was curious as to why she came to São Carlos of all places instead of for example the FIS races happening...in Taiwan this weekend! Our local spy talked to her yesterday, turns out she lives in the US and started rollerskiing two months ago. She'd always been checking the results, including those of the Brazilian races, and decided to go there...because. And because it'd be an easier travel than Taiwan, apparently.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

That is basically what I meant, just found it curious to see him compete there and be that far behind. His level is higher than some of Project Bogota, like Mexican German Madrazo and his buddy (I should mention@mrv86 here), but way lower than some others there.

Anyhow, merely a curiousity, nothing more :p 

Why? Am I like Pita? :p

Anyway, I’m glad this time Jonathan Soto did what he had to do in the snow, not on skates to qualify for the Olympics.

52 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Why? Am I like Pita? :p

Anyway, I’m glad this time Jonathan Soto did what he had to do in the snow, not on skates to qualify for the Olympics.

I was convinced you were Pita's number one fan :cheer: 

Odd, the Taiwanese lady isn't on the start list for today's São Carlos race. Surely she didn't travel all the way to Nowhereville in Brazil for a sprint qualifying of 1,4km? :d 

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Odd, the Taiwanese lady isn't on the start list for today's São Carlos race. Surely she didn't travel all the way to Nowhereville in Brazil for a sprint qualifying of 1,4km? :d 

She travelled for some acai too.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

She travelled for some acai too.

Worth it, man. Absolutely worth it :wub: 

Especially in São Carlos, there's a wonderful place downtown where you can make yourself a cup full with whatever toppings you desire :wub: