website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

I saw so many lists for possible medallists so my listicle :d

Top 20 Medal chances for India( this is in no order ) 

1. 50m Prone - Gagan Narang - Medalllist last year in one of the Fort benning world cups 2015  , has the big occasion temperament 

2. 10m Air rifle(m) - Abhinav Bindra - Big occasion shooter , is showing signs of a return to form ( in baku world cup was leading finals after 2 rounds  by a big margin ), a gold medallist has the temperament to shoot ( only a fool would say that Abhinav cannot medal in Rio..... In case any of you want to dispute that :d )  

3. 10m Air Pistol(m) - Jitu Rai - Bronze medal at the chongwon world cup - consistently has been in finals - One of Indias top hopes 

4. 50m Air Pistol(m)- Jitu Rai - Currently Ranked world number 2 in this event , silver at the world championships - a class act 

5. Skeet(m) - Mairaj - The only Indian who won a medal at the Rio World cup this year - currently ranked world no 4 ( never thought we would have a skeet prospect )

6. 10m Air rifle(w) - Apurvi - broke the world record last year , last years world cup final silver medal 

7. Womens Badminton - Sania Nehwal - world championship silver medallist , in good form 

8. Mens Hockey Team - Last two major tournaments - Silver and Bronze 

9. Tennis Mixed Doubles - With Sania in the team we have one of the best women's players with a very small field just two good matches and you are in with a medal 

10.Boxing - Shiva - A medal at the world championship ....... 

11. Boxing - Vikas - Indias finest boxer reached quarters of the world championship , is a world championship medallist 

12. Wrestling - Narsingh - The only indian till now to win the olympic quota at the world championship , shows his class 

13. Wrestling - Yogi- Missed the world championship due to injury but his form at the asian qualifiers was fearsome 

14. Wrestling - Vignesh - Awesome form at the last qualifiers , again her form was so good 

15. Archery womens team - Current world championship silver medal , has consistently been medal-ling 

16. Archery womens individual - Deepika is a true championship so many medals  , was immature last time in her first olympics , now is more mature 

17. 10m air pistol ( w) - Heena Sidhu has been ranked world number one in 2014 was in fine form in the run up to the asian qualifiers 

18. Womens weightlifiting - Mirabhai Chanu in the 48 Kgs has lifted 192 which puts her in the elite list of top 3-4 weightlifters, she has been consistenly improving in the last few months and I feel will reach the level of 194 or so at Rio ..that should fetch her a medal with some luck 

19. Womens Vault - The fast improving Dipa Kramakar came 5th at the world championship , she has been getting a lot of support and will improve further , a medal prospect  in gymnastics 

20. Womens Badminton - PV sindhu - two times world championship bronze medallist is definately a prospect 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

to add more fuel :fingers:....... 20 other long shots for medals 

16      Long shots but with a chance  - 1.Kidambi , 2. Babita in wrestling , 3.laxmirani majhi - womens archery , 4.If atanu das is selected seems in great form , 5.Gurpreet in rapid fire , 6.Gurpreet in 10m , 7.Chain in 3position , 8.Nanjappa in 50m , 9. manvjit in trap ,         10. kynan in trap , 11.ayonika paul in 10m rifle ,  12.Manoj in boxing , 13. lee and rohan in the doubles never rule out lee, 14.Vikas Gowdas PB of 66 M could get him a medal if he is able to do that in rio, 15. anirban finished as T5 in the PGA championship – Many top golfers are opting out – Rio will be easier , 16. Mens 20KM walk – we won the asian championship – a superlative performance may give us a chance, Russians are out   17. Devendro if he qualifies ? ............adding 3 that i missed  18 , Gagan in 50 meter 3 position , 19 gagan in 10m air rifle ,   20 sandeep tomar in 59 kgs wrestling freestyle  .

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

7 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

I saw so many lists for possible medallists so my listicle :d

Top 20 Medal chances for India

1. 50m Prone - Gagan Narang - Medalllist last year in one of the Fort benning world cups 2015  , has the big occasion temperament 

2. 10m Air rifle(m) - Abhinav Bindra - Big occasion shooter , is showing signs of a return to form ( in baku world cup was leading finals after 2 rounds  by a big margin ), a gold medallist has the temperament to shoot ( only a fool would say that Abhinav cannot medal in Rio..... In case any of you want to dispute that  )  

3. 10m Air Pistol(m) - Jitu Rai - Bronze medal at the chongwon world cup - consistently has been in finals - One of Indias top hopes 

4. 50m Air Pistol(m)- Jitu Rai - Currently Ranked world number 2 in this event , silver at the world championships - a class act 

5. Skeet(m) - Mairaj - The only Indian who won a medal at the Rio World cup this year - currently ranked world no 4 ( never though we would have a skeet prospect )

6. 10m Air rifle(w) - Apurvi - broke the world record last year , last years world cup final silver medal 

7. Womens Badminton - Sania Nehwal - world championship silver medalist , in good form 

8. Mens Hockey Team - Last two major tournaments - Silver and Bronze 

9. Tennis Mixed Doubles - With Sania in the team we have one of the best womens players with a very small field just two good matches and you are in with a medal 

10.Boxing - Shiva - A medal at the world championship ....... 

11. Boxing - Vikas - Indias finest boxer reached quarters of the world championship , is a world championship medallist 

12. Wrestling - Narsingh - The only indian till now to win the olympic quota at the world championship , shows his class 

13. Wrestling - Yogi- Missed the world championship due to injury but his form at the asian qualifiers was fearsome 

14. Wrestling - Vignesh - Awesome form at the last qualifiers , again her form was so good 

15. Archery womens team - Current world championship silver medal , has consistently been medalling 

16. Archery womens individual - Deepika is a true championship so many medals  , was immature last time in her first olympics 

17. 10m air pistol ( w) - Heena Sidhu has been ranked world number one in 2014 was in fine form in the run up to the asian qualifiers 

18. Womens weightlifiting - Mirabhai Chanu in the 48 Kgs has lifted 192 which puts her in the elite list of top 3-4 weightlifters, she has been consistenly improving in the last few months and I feel will reach the level of 194 or so at Rio ..that should fetch her a medal with some luck 

19. Womens Vault - The fast improving Dipa Kramakar came 5th at the world championship , she has been getting a lot of support and will improve further , a medal prospect  in gymnastics 

20. Womens Badminton - PV sindhu - two times world championship bronze medallist is definately a prospect 

Well deserved reputation with crisp information reasoning your choices. I was wanting to blog about India's chances of medals at the Olympics. Would surely want to use all the info and opinions on this forum :)

13 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Well deserved reputation with crisp information reasoning your choices. I was wanting to blog about India's chances of medals at the Olympics. Would surely want to use all the info and opinions on this forum :)

:d thanks  ..............Please do use this suneet ( my pleasure in fact ) ...as well as the next list of 20 long shots if you find this useful for your analysis

Edited by nitinsanker

The Russian boxer who defeated Sumit Sangwan lost his SF bout that means Sumit fails to qualify for Rio 2016 in 81kg weight category as 5th qualifier.
Now Dilbag Singh will fight for this quota in pro boxing qualifiers next month.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

1 hour ago, rohan sharma said:

lol ..you are comparing dope player to injured player...both are very diffrent cases

Lol I did not "compare". I gave you an example because of the line you used "she didnt qualify by her own" :facepalm:

13 minutes ago, Prashanth said:

The Russian boxer who defeated Sumit Sangwan lost his SF bout that means Sumit fails to qualify for Rio 2016 in 81kg weight category as 5th qualifier.

:(.....what happened to laishrams bout 

1 hour ago, Prashanth said:

Source? 81kg semifinals are going to be held in evening session.