website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

8 hours ago, Suneet said:

Mary Kom will not go to the Rio Olympics. Our success in the last Olympics means that we are not eligible for the Tripartite quota. :wacko:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/boxing/Mary-Kom-will-not-go-to-Rio-Olympics/articleshow/52872244.cms

Why are you puzzled?? Tripartite quotas are meant for small and emerging nations who have next to nil representation at the olympics. Pakistan this time got 2 tripartite quotas because their hockey team failed to qualify and they managed to qualify just one judoka themselves...across all sports.

India will now be sending 100+ athletes to Rio. We should be proud to be ineligible for the tripartite quota.

7 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Totally agree 

Look at the contrast between 4 Indian Olympic medallists.......

Sushil and Vijender ( both are heroes of mine mind you  ) did not participate in trials or tournaments .............. suddenly seem to have this attitude  I have to be at olympics just a few weeks before the olympics , despite someone else slogging to win a quota 

Lee and Abhinav on the other hand worked seriously over the last year ....abhinav to get selected to the indian  team by participating in the trials , then slogged to get into form and win his own quota ...... lee going to challengers for the first time in god knows how many years to bring his ranking up ................ They win their fair quota at the olympics 

dudes you are not bigger than the sport and you will have competition for your place daily ...........

Have to point out that there is a huge difference between Sushil and Vijender.

Sushil did not compete at the world championships and the pro wrestling league as he was injured. While a lot of people might feel he was just running from Narsingh, I like to give our only double individual Oly medalist the benefit of the doubt. Plus, he has had to deal with the situation where his category was removed from the Olympics (or more accurately, Yogeshwar's category was removed and he gave up his category to Yogeshwar). He would have competed in the other oly qualifiers but he was not eligible as Narsingh had already won the quota !!! And all he asked for was a trial, to enable the best wrestler to go to Rio...

Vijender on the other hand has not had to face any of this. He turned pro on his own volition and in effect turned his back on the olympics. Then, when AIBA threw him a lifeline, instead of asking for a trial and competing to win his quota, when he has the chance to do so, he is asking for a wild card and a complete free ride to the olympics, in a scenario where Vikas/Sumit are still fighting and very close to the quota themselves...I'll still watch his title fight and cheer for him wholeheartedly, but this statement is just terribly disappointing...

9 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Unfortunately No .................  Mirabai is in the 48 Kg category and her main rivals will come from just 4 countries - CHN ( almost sure gold ) ...... tough fight with vie , tha, prk for the rest of the medals as china is likely to field just one lifter ................. only advantage may be that she may have sanjita for company in the 48 kg and the two are close which would boost her morale 

Not sure any of those quotas are coming to India even if the ban comes through. Rules are not clear but seems like quotas will just be allocated to countries not already qualified. But its unclear, does anybody have a different interpretation ???

http://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/05/2014-05-28-Rio-2016-Qualification-System-FINAL-Weightlifting-EN.pdf

6 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

Kynan Chenai hits another 25 in round 4, wow what shooting, score 99/100, in 1st pos, just need to keep his nerves in round 5.

I am saying again and again, all of our 12 shooters are capable of wining medals on their day. Kynan again vindicating my point.   

34 minutes ago, kapil857 said:

Not sure any of those quotas are coming to India even if the ban comes through. Rules are not clear but seems like quotas will just be allocated to countries not already qualified. But its unclear, does anybody have a different interpretation ???

http://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/05/2014-05-28-Rio-2016-Qualification-System-FINAL-Weightlifting-EN.pdf

If RUS/KAZ/BLR are banned from Olympics (instead of just removing x lifters from final tally) then their lifters will be removed from all Olympic qualification tournaments. This would mean that Combined ranking will be recalculated without lifters from these countries. IWF did the same thing when a) Brazil failed to win a quota based on combined ranking and had to use Host Quota and b) when they banned Bulgaria from Rio Olympics. 

16 minutes ago, Dolby said:

If RUS/KAZ/BLR are banned from Olympics (instead of just removing x lifters from final tally) then their lifters will be removed from all Olympic qualification tournaments. This would mean that Combined ranking will be recalculated without lifters from these countries. IWF did the same thing when a) Brazil failed to win a quota based on combined ranking and had to use Host Quota and b) when they banned Bulgaria from Rio Olympics. 

Thanx...I was wondering if that will happen. So has anyone calculated the new combined rankings ??

P.S. - If anyone knows how I can delete the duplicate posts above, posted due to connectivity issues, please let me know...

Edited by kapil857

1 hour ago, Sanjib said:

Kynan Chenai hits another 25 in round 4, wow what shooting, score 99/100, in 1st pos, just need to keep his nerves in round 5.

What about the other two?

Yesterday they fared so so

Zoravar singh sabdhu 71/75 15th

Prithviraj tondaiman 70/75 22th