website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Congratulations Brazilians for booting Bolso out. It probably won’t be an easy term for Lula with the parliament composition and the damage done in the last 4 years, but yeah at least the main target is out

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Ah yes, those magical last minute electronic vote swings from the always-last-to-declare leftist strongholds. They’re becoming quite the global phenomenon.  

Because in those countries more densely populated urban areas, which tend to be more pro left, take longer to count than more sparsely populated rural areas which lean right.

The reverse tends to be true in the UK where we both vote. Other than in very one-sided elections either way the left often builds up a lead in seats as the urban votes are counted more quickly. This is because these constituencies tend to have slightly lower turnout and be geographically smaller and therefore votes arrive at the counting centres more quickly. And then as the night goes on 'magically' the right begins to catch up and often overtake the left as votes counts are completed in more rural areas. Even within individual constituencies (especially marginals) this phenoma occurs - I speak as someone who has attended many counts in different capacities - but most people aren't aware of it because they only see the final results for each seat.

I'm not sure how serious you are but similar comments from politicians in many long established democracies frighten me as they are well aware of these factors but try to manipulate them to undermine the credibility of what are almost always free and fair elections. I don't normally comment on politics on this site but I've never feared for democracy more than I do at the moment as a result of the behaviour of populist politicians in attacking democratic institutions in their countries and their refusal to accept the result of elections that do not go their way.

8 hours ago, vinipereira said:

As a fun fact, Bolso was heavily supported by Neymar in this election, who did multiple posts in social media and even appeared in a live feed of the president. Now people are joking that Neymar will never win something important (Ballon d'or, World Cup title, or the election).

image.png

7 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

I'm not sure how serious you are but similar comments from politicians in many long established democracies frighten me as they are well aware of these factors but try to manipulate them to undermine the credibility of what are almost always free and fair elections. I don't normally comment on politics on this site but I've never feared for democracy more than I do at the moment as a result of the behaviour of populist politicians in attacking democratic institutions in their countries and their refusal to accept the result of elections that do not go their way.

Afraid I absolutely do not trust electronic voting and counting in any country at all.  The British system with paper ballots and unlimited inspection by party officers is way better, although we do have a problem with unverifiable postal voting. 

36 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Afraid I absolutely do not trust electronic voting and counting in any country at all.  The British system with paper ballots and unlimited inspection by party officers is way better, although we do have a problem with unverifiable postal voting. 

On paper ballots I agree with you but on postal voting I do not. Athough there have been a very small handful of minor cases of postal ballot fraud there is no evidence that there is a problem with postal voting. That's the problem with those politicians who seek to undermine democracy they never produce any evidence to back up their claims.

13 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

On paper ballots I agree with you but on postal voting I do not. Athough there have been a very small handful of minor cases of postal ballot fraud there is no evidence that there is a problem with postal voting. That's the problem with those politicians who seek to undermine democracy they never produce any evidence to back up their claims.

Well, apart from that one time.... 

Lutfur Rahman corruption verdict: Tower Hamlets mayor guilty of corruption and election result is declared void | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

Edited by Grassmarket