website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

58 minutes ago, hckošice said:

What those pictures/pictograms means exactly ? that bike for example ? :d

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_symbol#:~:text=Indian lotus.,the national flower of India.&text=Right hand with its palm side facing front.

"In 1957, a more unfortunate candidate had a chicken for his symbol. The would-be politician brought a chicken to the voting booth where the unfortunate bird fell prey to local vultures. Hence, the Sanmarg article concludes, the candidate lost: “why would the people vote for somebody who is not even able to protect the chicken?”"

Edited by Dragon

13 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation, that is logical and good idea to help people who can not for some reason read.

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Some political parties have permanent symbols. Like for example - The first one, the palm is of Indian National Congress. It will be same throughout country. 

For individuals or parties who don't have a certain % of can apply for a symbol from a list. 

3 hours ago, LuizGuilherme said:

Here in Brazil everything i automatic

Screenshot_20220913-113831_Chrome.jpg

Everything that's electronic can be hacked, so I'm honestly glad we don't use any machines here :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 9/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, Griff88 said:

You guys use pencils? We still use nails here to stab the ballot paper :p 

demi-luber-jurdil-bawaslu-larang-warga-b

And this is our ballot paper size

ktthfyoq6a5286dgflrn.jpg

(In Aceh it will be even longer because there are 4 regional special parties for the province)

I've seen ballots way bigger than that here in Italy (especially in the local election, where there are also the names of the candidates and not only the symbols of the parties, like in the National elections)...

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Everything that's electronic can be hacked, so I'm honestly glad we don't use any machines here :d 

Its not connected to anything, they print the votes and count.

We use this system since 1996 and no frauds happened since them. 

People use to say that Brazilian system is the most modern in the world, and we always know our new president about 2 hours after finish voting

Edited by LuizGuilherme

11 hours ago, LuizGuilherme said:

Here in Brazil everything i automatic

Screenshot_20220913-113831_Chrome.jpg

I wish our gov can get their shit together and switch to this. In the last election (2019), around 800 polling station staff members died from exhaustion because they have to finish the count ASAP

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This is the most common thing we here when we say we have electronic voting machine. But the machine is not connected to anything except a battery. 

It cannot be hacked but assuming you hacked it you would have to hack approximately 1500 individual machines to just win 1 out of 543 seats in Parliament. 

Edited by Shravan Kumar

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Of course everything that's electronic can be hacked, but there are enough checkmarks, atleast in India, to ensure that such hacking doesn't take place.

Manufacturer level hacking/foul play is eliminated with help of double randomization: first level which machine is going to be used in which constituency is randomly selected and second level where the position of each candidate in a constituency is also randomized. So, any foul play on the part of manufacturer or at the time of storage/transportation is simply not possible. 

Now, once the machine reaches the booth and candidates are assigned, machines are tested in presence of all the candidates and can be used only if all give consent that the machine is working properly. After this, machine is kept in strict security. During elections, randomly some units are equiped with VVPAT, where there along with the electronic vote, the voter gets a paper confirmation of the vote and that paper confirmation is also stored in a safe box. No large scale discrepancies have been found while tallying votes from the machine and paper votes till now. 

Of course there is still always a possibility that there are ways of foul play that I am missing, but at present I, in my capacity as an amateur political enthusiast and electronics engineer, don't think there is any reason to believe that EVMs are not giving correct results. 

16 hours ago, hckošice said:

As others have pointed out, the pictures/pictograms are the election symbols that are allocated to the parties. Honestly, it is the biggest asset of any party. For example, I am a supporter of Narendra Modi-led Bhartiya Janata Party (though my support for BJP predates Modi's rise) and there have been times when I didn't even know the name of the candidate till I entered the polling booth as I knew I had to press the button next to BJP's symbol: Lotus.

There have been various curious things relating to symbols in Indian politics. For example, in 2014, Modi started using Lotus brooch in his public appearances to make the association between Modi and Lotus even more visible. Mayawati, as CM of UP, had erected large statues of elephants everywhere in the state as it was her election symbol. Couple of parties have cycle as their symbol and hence they would hold big cycle rallies. Also, whenever a party splits biggest point of contention between warring factions is who gets the election symbol.