website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

15 minutes ago, Swewi said:

Elections in Sweden today  

0163EB7F-B336-4378-929B-C41B4B77BE18.jpeg

I'm surprised that the election system hasn't gotten any attention in Denmark som far. Usually some Danish politicians spend a lot of time talking about how the Swedish elections aren't that democratic. Not a big fan of how it's done, lacks anonymity, but usually some Danes makes it worse than it is. 

But that's usually the Danish Peoples Party and they're fighting for their life here in Denmark.

11 minutes ago, Agger said:

I'm surprised that the election system hasn't gotten any attention in Denmark som far. Usually some Danish politicians spend a lot of time talking about how the Swedish elections aren't that democratic. Not a big fan of how it's done, lacks anonymity, but usually some Danes makes it worse than it is. 

But that's usually the Danish Peoples Party and they're fighting for their life here in Denmark.

It is more anonymous now  when  no one can see you take the ballot in public anymore 

37 minutes ago, Agger said:

Wait... what ?!

Just now, Monzanator said:

@Swewi What's the deal with the -erna suffixes in Swedish? I seem to recall half of the local speedway teams have it the same way (Dackarna, Indianerna) but basically no football clubs are named like that :dunno:

It's really just plural. The liberals, the moderates, the indians and so on.

30 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Wait... what ?!

Before this year people had always taken the ballot from a public table before they go behind the curtain and vore in secret. Of course peppar who dont want to show others have taken ballots from several parties and then just left the not-used ballots aside. 

14 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

@Swewi What's the deal with the -erna suffixes in Swedish? I seem to recall half of the local speedway teams have it the same way (Dackarna, Indianerna) but basically no football clubs are named like that :dunno:

Example:

I am liberal - jag är liberal

Liberals - liberalER

the liberals - liberalERNA

24 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Wait... what ?!

As you can see on the picture fro Swewi each party have their own ballots. You pick the ballots for the party you want to vote for (I believe there are blanks as well as Sweden has quite a lot of write-in parties and candidates).

In the past, you could take the ballot on the voting location where people could more or less keep an eye on you and at some locations party member were even giving them to voters. You could always take the ballots from more parties to hide your selection, but it really still wasn't that good. 
But I understand that this part has been improved, not having the ballots in public.

The reason for having the individual ballots and not a long list like most other countries is that the election laws are very liberal in Sweden. It's very easy to have your party in the election. The full ballot would be terribly long!
Just look at some of the parties up for election: Donald Duck's party, The least bad party, The poor man's party, Capitalism with a friendly face and Evil chicken party. Not to mention a handful of more or less extreme parties on both wings.