website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

China, China, China. It seems that all elections of smaller countries could be divided into Pro-China or Pro-US by the typical western media and each election is about showing loyalty to some superpower. No one cares why the candidate win the popularity and what promises attract the voters. Who cares the bullshit internal policies of such a tiny country after all?

Meanwhile situation in Sri Lanka continues to deteriorate. PM Mahinda Rajapaksa has resigned. There are multiple reports of violence and arson. Ancestral house of Rajapaksas has been burned down. In another bizzare incident, a ruling party MP opened fire on protesters and then later committed suicide.  

New polling shows that the support for Orbán grew even more in Hungary after the election. And the same can be said about the pro-Russian neonazi party which now overtook all the left-wing parties and it's the second most popular party in Hungary behind Fidesz. The polling shows that the support of parties with Western ideologies are shrinking even below what was considered their lowest point. 

I think it's pretty clear which side won the "cultural war" in Hungary for the next few decades. I don't like it, but it is what it is, this is the direction this country will be on for most of my life. And it can get worse. Let's hope that Orbán's system will stay intact because if it won't, I am pretty sure the neonazies will be the ones who will take charge after Orbán, not the left-wing. 

On 5/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, Dolby said:

Meanwhile situation in Sri Lanka continues to deteriorate. PM Mahinda Rajapaksa has resigned. There are multiple reports of violence and arson. Ancestral house of Rajapaksas has been burned down. In another bizzare incident, a ruling party MP opened fire on protesters and then later committed suicide.  

From Wikipedia:

Mahinda Rajapaksa is superstitious; he wears talismans and consults astrologers in his decision-making. He is known for acquiring a large number of valuable rings as lucky charms, some with colored stones and elephant hair. 

:lol: 

Either some opponent got his hands on the Wikipedia page and it wasn't edited yet when I looked, or this is actually real (and he'll probably attribute the current situation to not having gathered enough rings with elephant hair or something :lol:).

I thought the US had an anti-science leader for a while.... :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

From Wikipedia:

:lol: 

Either some opponent got his hands on the Wikipedia page and it wasn't edited yet when I looked, or this is actually real (and he'll probably attribute the current situation to not having gathered enough rings with elephant hair or something :lol:).

I thought the US had an anti-science leader for a while.... :p 

I am not a fan of Mahinda Rajapaksa but honestly this is a benign thing. Almost all of us have our lucky charms and superstitions. I won't call him anti-science as well. He didn't promote any crazy anti-science ideas. In fact, one of the big reason for the current situation in Sri Lanka is MR promoted organic farming without fertilizers, partly to reduce import bill, partly on advice of environmentalists and partly on advice of Buddhist monks. This resulted in crop yields dropping a lot and forcing Sri Lanka to import food. 

44 minutes ago, Dolby said:

I am not a fan of Mahinda Rajapaksa but honestly this is a benign thing. Almost all of us have our lucky charms and superstitions. I won't call him anti-science as well. He didn't promote any crazy anti-science ideas. In fact, one of the big reason for the current situation in Sri Lanka is MR promoted organic farming without fertilizers, partly to reduce import bill, partly on advice of environmentalists and partly on advice of Buddhist monks. This resulted in crop yields dropping a lot and forcing Sri Lanka to import food. 

Here in the West, many people think women can have penises. Nobody, in the history of the world, going back to the days if the cro-magnons, has ever believed anything as crazy ad that. Yet here in :SCO, I can go to jail for denying it.

59 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Here in the West, many people think women can have penises. Nobody, in the history of the world, going back to the days if the cro-magnons, has ever believed anything as crazy ad that. Yet here in :SCO, I can go to jail for denying it.

ron burgundy GIF

On 5/13/2022 at 9:07 AM, Grassmarket said:

Of course in :SCO many women do have penises. They usually borrow them from other people