website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

I'm not sure where to post this but there was a train accident in Greece a couple days ago where so far 57 people died, 85 are injured and 56 are still missing. Emmanouela Katzouraki, who is 21 yo and currently holds the number 2 ranking in the women's skeet shooting, is one of the 85 who is injured. Everyone please keep her and the other victims in your thoughts.

She is currently back at her home in Thessaloniki so it seems that she will be okay. Some other, lesser known athletes died (many of the victims were university students going back to Thessaloniki after the holiday of Clean Monday). I apologise for not knowing/remembering their names.

:CAN Ken Money, the high jumper who reached the Olympic final in 1956 has died aged 88.

However that's probably one of the least interesting things about his life

https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/theglobeandmail/name/kenneth-money-obituary?id=49650839

Antonin Hajek :CZE Ski Jumping - 35

Former Czech ski jumper Antonín Hájek, 2010 & 2014 Olympian (7th in Large Hill competition in Vancouver) died at the age of 35.

The Ski Association of the Czech Republic (SLČR) informed today without giving any further details, according medias Hájek was considered missing since last year´s October. He was supposed to be in Malaysia.

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

BBC obit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/64945985

in the early days of high jump & even Pole Vault you jumped into the long jump pit, so if didn’t want to injure yourself, you landed on your feet.  When foam mattresses came along in the mid 60s, Fosbury realised that there was room for a new technique.  I saw the HJ at the Commonwealth Games in 1970 & even then lots of people were using the old technique.  But by Munich 1972, everyone was using Fosbury’s jump.  Although you still see people doing the old methods in practice & warm-up.

I remember there were the scissors - jumping legs first upright - and the western roll - diving head first stomach down over the bar.

Edited by Grassmarket

My grandfather started coaching high school athletics in Oregon in the 1960s. We were chatting about the pre-flop days earlier this year. He used to teach the Western Roll, and even once criticized a kid for trying something similar to the flop in the late 1960s. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela