website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

not really an athlete, but his work was deeply concerned with sport.

Arata Isozaki, one of the greatest architects in the contemporary age, died earlier Today at the age of 91.

among his art works, 2 iconic venues like the Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona and the Olympic Arena in Turin (host of the 2006 Ice Hockey Olympic Gold Medal matches, among the many events).

https://www.usanews.net/breaking/the-architect-arata-isozaki-author-of-palau-sant-jordi-dies-h40521.html

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Only recently got to know more about what kind of a person he was outside of football by the way. A shame I came across that so shortly before his death, because now he's in my mind as a rather shitty person so I'll try to look at him as a great football player and nothing more or less :p 

You make me remember his appearance in The Simpsons.

I'm not old enough to have seen Pele playing, so I was only able to follow the non-player Pele. Not my favorite person. He always denied and undermined racism in Brazil, he apparently denied the recognition of one of his kids, he never stood against the military dictatorship in Brazil, and more recently he was neutral in a very tumultuous election for president, not standing against Bolsonaro. He might have been a great player, but not the kind of person I would like to have around and chat for a while. Still, may he rest in peace.

30 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

wow,no words

He had just won gold recently at the 2022 European Junior Boxing Championships. He got severely injured a few weeks ago in training and it seems the injuries were life-threatening :cry:

EDIT-Okay, I got more information now, he was injured at training matches so he went to the bathroom to put water on his face and then he fainted in the bathroom and hit his head on a hard surface.

Edited by Makedonas