website statistics

Rowing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

Some really crazy results in this regatta. Wow. I think it's a combination of the conditions and also the fact that the Olympic regatta takes place over a week, while everything else since the 2019 World Championships (European Championships and World Cups) take place within 2-3 days.

My recap for :GRE crews today:

Women's pair:

I am so proud of Christina and Maria for their 5th place finish. That's really remarkable for them both at just 20 years old (I know people are probably tired of me mentioning in every post how young they are :lol:)

I really hope this will keep them together. I know Maria wanted to row with her sister in the pair but if it's not broken then why fix it?! Christina and Maria have accomplished so much over the last three years and have a bright future ahead.

My only concern is that they are both going to do NCAA rowing in the US and I hope that it is the right decision for their development. I have my doubts. Also in Rio Greece had three 19-20 year olds all make A Finals and only one is still rowing, one stopped right after Rio and the other got 4th in W2X as a 19 yo and then went to NCAA rowing but hasn't competed with the national team since 2018. I hope they will be in Paris and not fall into the trap of leaving the national team at a young age.

Women's single sculls:

Seeing Anneta finish 6th in the semifinal was disappointing, though I didn't expect her to make Final A because she hasn't been at her best here. Still at 22 to make the semifinals of the single sculls is good, especially since one year ago she was training for the lightweight double still. She will go back to NCAA rowing and I think she will graduate before Paris and hope to see her there too.

Men's single sculls:

I've been saying since before the Olympics that I think Ntouskos had a good chance to win a medal and today proved it, finishing first in the semifinals. The final will be tough but with no Zeidler one would think it's slightly easier. He was sixth in Rio in the lightweight four, now in the single sculls which he only started in the middle of the 2019 racing season. Winning a medal would be huge. This might be the last race of his career even though he's only 24 (he said in several interviews that he is thinking to quit rowing after Tokyo because he is in medical school and took a break for training and wants to resume). I really hope this good performance in Tokyo (no matter what the final result is) can encourage him to stick around until Paris at least. Or maybe if he wins a medal it will attract more attention/sponsors for him.

Men's Pair
Final Results

:CRO  Croatia 

Martin Sinkovic

Valent Sinkovic

6:15.29

:ROU  Romania    

Marius Cozmiuc

Ciprian Tudosa

6:16.58

:DEN  Denmark     

Frederic Vystavel

Joachim Sutton

6:19.88

Final-A Results Here
Full Final Ranking Here

Women's Pair
Final Results

:NZL  New Zealand

Grace Prendergast

Kerri Gowler

6:50.19

:ROC  ROC   

Vasilisa Stepanova

Elena Oriabinskaia

6:51.45

:CAN  Canada    

Caileigh Filmer

Hillary Janssens

6:52.10

Final-A Results Here
Full Final Ranking Here

Men's Lightweight Double Sculls
Final Results

:IRL  Ireland  

Fintan McCarthy

Paul O´Donovan

6:06.43

:GER  Germany     

Jonathan Rommelmann

Jason Osborne

6:07.29

:ITA  Italy      

Stefano Oppo

Pietro Ruta

6:14.30

Final-A Results Here
Full Final Ranking Here

Women's Lightweight Double Sculls
Final Results

:ITA  Italy

Valentina Rodini

Federica Cesarini

6:47.54

:FRA  France   

Laura Tarantola

Claire Bove

6:47.68

:NED  Netherlands   

Marieke Keijser

Ilse Paulis

6:48.03

Final-A Results Here
Full Final Ranking Here

Come on Twigg, 4th in London, 4th in Rio, this would be the kind of gold medal that is so awesome!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!