website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News Road to Paris 2024

This is insane. So some athletes will have to run an extra race - like 1,500 meters even? They will be dead tired and complete non-factors come the SF or Final if they actually make it.

Athletes are rested for 400 meters with the relays on the schedule and now they will be forced to run extra race if they don't get automatic spot? Yeah, I can see more DNS in repechages.

This is an idea that profits top-heavy nations, USA (duh), East Africa in 800/1500 but that is about it.

PS. Like mentioned, we'll see people walking off track if they can no longer qualify by place in the heats. The juice won't be worth the squeeze. Hell, some outsiders will walk right off after 100 meters in heats and focus on the repechage already most likely.

I'm amazed how WA is trying to fix something that isn't broken :wacko:

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

maybe an elimination race will be fine too, you know, run the 100m until only two will left..

same for 10000m run 25 races until the last 2 stands :p

Anyway off topic but I just read today that from Brisbane 2032 all olympic Swimming competitions will be held on the 25m pool ! I swear it is written here  https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/olympijske-hry-2024-v-parizi-ktore-sa-zacnu-uz-o-dva-roky-budu-v-duchu-inovacii :lol:

...These standards correspond not only to the sustainable ambitions of the IOC, but also of the International Swimming Federation (FINA). In an effort to further support the sustainability of the Olympic Games, the IOC proposed to reduce the size of the Olympic pool from 50 to 25 meters and to use digital technologies and robots instead of timers. :bowdown: The changes should apply after the 2032 Olympics in Brisbane....

I'm waiting for a time when using the word "sustainable" in every other frickin' press release will be unsustainable. This excuse is getting hilarious :lol: I guess the new generation will come up with some new words to promote so it's only a matter of time - as always.

11 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

So some athletes will have to run an extra race - like 1,500 meters even? They will be dead tired and complete non-factors come the SF or Final if they actually make it.

Mostly the athletes who aren't convinced they'll reach the SF, but still have a realistic chance. Those who have no serious chance, or those who are dropped after 1000m or so, can simply jog or walk to the finish to at least save some energy.

The ones in between are the ones screwed the most :p 

Edit: like you said later. Note to self: should read full comments first.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

maybe an elimination race will be fine too, you know, run the 100m until only two will left..

same for 10000m run 25 races until the last 2 stands :p

Anyway off topic but I just read today that from Brisbane 2032 all olympic Swimming competitions will be held on the 25m pool ! I swear it is written here  https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/olympijske-hry-2024-v-parizi-ktore-sa-zacnu-uz-o-dva-roky-budu-v-duchu-inovacii :lol:

...These standards correspond not only to the sustainable ambitions of the IOC, but also of the International Swimming Federation (FINA). In an effort to further support the sustainability of the Olympic Games, the IOC proposed to reduce the size of the Olympic pool from 50 to 25 meters and to use digital technologies and robots instead of timers. :bowdown: The changes should apply after the 2032 Olympics in Brisbane....

Hmm, I wonder, did they only read this item from the convenient day of 1 April now, or are there new developments? :p 

https://www.stateofswimming.com/fina-asks-ioc-to-halve-olympic-pool-standard-to-25m-after-2032-games-in-sustainability-drive-that-would-see-robots-replace-time-keepers/

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Hmm, I wonder, did they only read this item from the convenient day of 1 April now, or are there new developments? :p 

https://www.stateofswimming.com/fina-asks-ioc-to-halve-olympic-pool-standard-to-25m-after-2032-games-in-sustainability-drive-that-would-see-robots-replace-time-keepers/

Ah ok then :lol:

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Please tell me this is satire and not actually serious.