website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

10 hours ago, rybak said:

That surprise for me, even after not successfull season last year. Especially when he was on photos from Kenya shared by Lewandowski recently...

I guess when you get to a certain age even a quite trivial injury can make you think you’re at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely an end of an era for :NZL sport. Dame Valerie Adams has retired. Multiple world champion and 4 olympic medals 2 of them gold. 3 weeks after the great Hamish Bond an 8x wch and winner of 3 olympic gold medals announced his retirement. That's a hefty bit experience and expertise gone but was expected. Thank you to them both for giving us many memories.

On 12/21/2021 at 10:25 PM, Makedonas said:

Wow, I wonder if this has to do with Ieva's ban? Milda didn't want to switch to single sculls? Donata is already 32 so I wouldn't be surprised if she stopped too. She already seemed to have stopped and only came back when Ieva got banned.

Donata was fully ready to continue for an another Olympic cycle, especially since it was only three years this time.

Milda announced her retirement right there on the stage, Donata didn't even know that was going to happen.

Really lost a lot of respect for Milda, I believe Donata is going to try her luck in the single-sculls and after that probably retirement in 2024. 

3 hours ago, Belle said:

:SWE Nils Van Der Poel, Speed Skating to retire after this season. 

:cry:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/a/dnBrgB/os-hjalten-nils-van-der-poel-lagger-ner-sin-elitsatsning

Ohh... he is fast.

I mean, he just preforming well only just two seasons and is still young.

8 hours ago, Werloc said:

Donata was fully ready to continue for an another Olympic cycle, especially since it was only three years this time.

Milda announced her retirement right there on the stage, Donata didn't even know that was going to happen.

Really lost a lot of respect for Milda, I believe Donata is going to try her luck in the single-sculls and after that probably retirement in 2024. 

I know this is off-topic, but when does Ieva's ban end?

van der Poel really just showed up, broke two world records and won two Olympic gold medals to make a point, then just dropped the mic and peaced out. Legend.

“When you’re a professional athlete in a sport that sucks as much as speed skating sucks, you’ve got to find a way to make it suck a little less,” van der Poel said at the Olympics. “I did 20 ultras, 1,000 skydives, I served in the army for a year, I do a lot of parties. I went snowboarding a lot. I went ski mountaineering. I biked the whole of Sweden. I made it adventurous, because I knew there was a time when I would lock myself up, enduring it. I had to build up a mountain of motivation.”

TBH I wouldn't be shocked if he showed up again in like November of 2025 in monstrously good form.

14 hours ago, FancyFenchel said:

Ohh... he is fast.

I mean, he just preforming well only just two seasons and is still young.

He performed well, but got bored and left for a few years, and then got back and performed even better and now it's on to the next goal :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!