website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

10 hours ago, MHSN said:

whenever this thread pups up I come to see if our "friend" has anything new about Olympic cancellation :d his posts always make me laugh.

but then I only see your boring posts. :sleep: boooo

I'm interested to know what are you interests, or what are you going to watch in Beijing, as i haven't pictured you as the winter sport type. :d 

Just in …..

Zhang Yimou named as chief director of the Beijing 2022 Opening Ceremony - 7Jan22 - Inside The Games

“Zhang Yimou directed the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Olympics, and is also overseeing the Beijing 2022 Ceremonies.”

“Chinese media reported Zhang is working with a crew of "high-profile consultants" and will also take overall responsibility for the Closing Ceremony and Paralympic Ceremonies.”

"It is a great honour to direct the Opening Ceremony for the second time," Zhang told the Xinhua News Agency.

"The burden is very heavy. Of course we know we cannot repeat Beijing 2008, so we are striving to be different from it," he admitted.

“Only 3,000 are expected to take part, in contrast to 2008, which had a cast of 15,000, including 2,008 drummers at the start of the Ceremony.”

…. and more on this from the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong:

On Beijing 2022 Opening Ceremony Director, Zhang Yimou:  

“The Oscar-nominated director of Raise the Red Lantern, Hero and The House of Flying Daggers is leading a team to design the show. Zhang also directed the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.”

“Rehearsals are under way for the pared down ceremony, without the large-scale artistic performances that marked the 2008 programme, state television said.”

“Rather, technology will be used to make the opening ceremony “ethereal and romantic”, state television quoted Zhang as saying.”

Beijing 2022: Zhang Yimou to direct Winter Olympics opening ceremony - 8Jan22 - South China Morning Post

The Beijing 2022 Olympic Flame will be lit in “unprecedented fashion”

"This time, the way of lighting will certainly be different. I am very nervous. I believe it is totally innovative and people will be surprised," Zhang claimed, hinting at "a bold design of the lighting and design of the Cauldron."

“Although no further details were given, he hinted that environmental themes and low carbon emissions had been important factors in the designs.”

“Zhang Yimou directed the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Olympics, and is also overseeing the Beijing 2022 Ceremonies.”

If Almaty was given the WOG none of the current prostests would have happened IMO. Hell, Nazarbiev would still be the President and would delay all the backlash until after the Games.

Anyway, it's another PR win for China as suddenly they can point to other countries having major internal issues. And obviously the liberal democracy lobbyists won't do anything about people shot dead in Kazakhstan. This country isn't important enough to fight a political battle over it after all :coffee:

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I'm interested to know what are you interests, or what are you going to watch in Beijing, as i haven't pictured you as the winter sport type. :d 

well I mostly write comments about sports I'm more informed about. but it doesn't mean I don't follow other sports. I just read others comments and learn from them. I love watching sports in general. major competitions though, not all the World Cups.

if I'm not wrong since 2006 (the first time I watched the WOG) I didn't miss a single final. I think I'm more interested in Alpine, Biathlon, Figure skating, even Curling and Short Track

the only winter sport I have hard time to enjoy is Ice Hockey (and maybe Nordic Combined, I don't know why that even exists) I tried to watch and like Ice hockey but it's just not my taste :d I still watch the gold medal match.

Ice Hockey is usually Top 3 Olympic sport for pre-milennial generations. When I was a kid there was a hockey game on CT1 or CT2 every weekend (since I live ca. 120 km from the Czech border I could get the Czech TV on my analog antena back then). The days when Peter Forsberg was supposed to be the new European Gretzky ;)

The very first athlete headed to Beijing. :SUI Sochi 2014 champion in Snowboarding Parallel Patrizia Kummer will arrive to Beijing and start the 3 week isolation for uvaccinated athletes

btw: She is not even officially nominated and qualified by the :SUI NOC yet :p