website statistics

Athletics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

Visibility overcome with emotions at the finish. What an effort! A highlight of the Games for sure.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Hilbert had a very productive lockdown. :)

image.png

His improvement percentage wise is about as big as that of Warner, the difference is that Warner is half a century older than him ...

Also the 50 km race walk is contested far less often than the decathlon, so big improvements are far more likely.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Still sad that this was the last 50km race. I wish we could get rid of the mixed relays and surfing and sport climbing, skateboarding, 3x3 basketball and other ridiculous events that have no business in the Olympics

In fairness, the addition of those sports doesn’t really have much to do with the 50km Race Walk being dropped. It has entirely to due with the fact that there’s no Women’s 50km Race Walk. Plus, the IOC also didn’t like the lack of technological innovation if I remember their report correctly.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

In fairness, the addition of those sports doesn’t really have much to do with the 50km Race Walk being dropped. It has entirely to due with the fact that there’s no Women’s 50km Race Walk. Plus, the IOC also didn’t like the lack of technological innovation if I remember their report correctly.

Well, there is no men's rhytmic gymnastics or synchro swimming either? As for lack of technological innovation that is an obvious bullshit. There is nothing fair about dropping the 50k, just the usual politics. They tried 50k women's walk at World Champs not so long ago and while it wasn't pretty at least they tried it. But obviously politics had to step in.

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Plus, the IOC also didn’t like the lack of technological innovation if I remember their report correctly.

I remember this one. The never arriving sensors.

If World Athletics cared about this event (they don't), the sensors (if they even exist) would have been introduced long ago.

#banbestmen