website statistics

Men's Baseball Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

I guess that's what you get when only 6 teams will play. The bracket would look much easier if 12 or 16 teams played.

Two rounds of repechages when only 4 teams will be involved. Yikes. One SF team will have played 3 matches to get there, one other 4 and two others 5? The worst team will only play three games and game over?

All that and it's still gonna be Japan vs USA final most likely? :evil:

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I guess that's what you get when only 6 teams will play. The bracket would look much easier if 12 or 16 teams played.

Two rounds of repechages when only 4 teams will be involved. Yikes. One SF team will have played 3 matches to get there, one other 4 and two others 5? The worst team will only play three games and game over?

All that and it's still gonna be Japan vs USA final most likely? :evil:

Otherwise known as "double elimination."  Very standard for baseball tournaments.  Baseball is not a good sport to play single elimination.  So yea, this is a really strange format they came up with (and is pretty much the same number of games as the softball tournament), but probably the best they could do to make a 6 team tournament work with only 1 venue

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Otherwise known as "double elimination."  Very standard for baseball tournaments.  Baseball is not a good sport to play single elimination.  So yea, this is a really strange format they came up with (and is pretty much the same number of games as the softball tournament), but probably the best they could do to make a 6 team tournament work with only 1 venue

What makes baseball so unique a single elimination isn't good enough? Hopefully not one of those things one sees in literally every sport, where people involved in said sport say "surprising results are so typical for sport X, anything can happen in this sport!"...which basically goes for every sport :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

As much as i want it to be, i seriously doubt israel will be there

So i'll be the Optemisitc one.., we have a group of players that most of them are playing together since 2016 or so, some of them has an MLB expireince and were at the top (Ian kinsler for example) so i don't see why not

1 minute ago, Dnl said:

So i'll be the Optemisitc one.., we have a group of players that most of them are playing together since 2016 or so, some of them has an MLB expireince and were at the top (Ian kinsler for example) so i don't see why not

Kinsler is playing? i didnt see a roster

:USA

Pitchers: Shane Baz, Anthony Carter, Brandon Dickson, Anthony Gose, Edwin Jackson, Scott Kazmir, Nick Martinez, Scott McGough, David Robertson, Joe Ryan, Ryder Ryan, Simeon Woods-Richardson

Catchers: Tim Federowicz, Mark Kolozsvary

Infielders: Nick Allen, Eddy Alvarez, Triston Casas, Todd Frazier, Jamie Westbrook

Outfielders: Tyler Austin, Eric Filia, Patrick Kivlehan, Bubba Starling

Utility: Jack Lopez

As expected, it's a mix of former MLB players and top prospects. As a Blue Jays fan, it's great to see Simeon Woods-Richardson make the team.

Also of note is that Eddy Alvarez was on the short track speed skating team at the 2014 olympics and he joins the list of people who have competed in both a summer and winter olympics.

4 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

:USA

Pitchers: Shane Baz, Anthony Carter, Brandon Dickson, Anthony Gose, Edwin Jackson, Scott Kazmir, Nick Martinez, Scott McGough, David Robertson, Joe Ryan, Ryder Ryan, Simeon Woods-Richardson

Catchers: Tim Federowicz, Mark Kolozsvary

Infielders: Nick Allen, Eddy Alvarez, Triston Casas, Todd Frazier, Jamie Westbrook

Outfielders: Tyler Austin, Eric Filia, Patrick Kivlehan, Bubba Starling

Utility: Jack Lopez

As expected, it's a mix of former MLB players and top prospects. As a Blue Jays fan, it's great to see Simeon Woods-Richardson make the team.

Also of note is that Eddy Alvarez was on the short track speed skating team at the 2014 olympics and he joins the list of people who have competed in both a summer and winter olympics.

Edwin Jackson threw a no hitter once, Scott Kazmir had quite a few great years in Tampa, David Roberts was a yankees closer. Not a bad team, hopefully though they will be able to have an agreement for LA2028 to send the majors players since it will be in Dodger Stadium