Taekwondo at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

• 4 months later...

:ESP Team Spain :ESP

• 58 kg: Adrián Vicente
  • 68 kg: Javier Pérez Polo
  • 80 kg: Raúl Martínez

• 49 kg: Adriana Cerezo

Jesús Tortosa, 5th place in Rio and the guy who got the quota, will not go to the Olympics due to his bad relationship with the Spanish federation. Oficially it's because of the low level of Jesus these last months (he had covid and was unable to train for a few weeks, missing the European Championship), but everybody knows that it's a political decision because he and his family have a conflict with the president. :(

13 minutes ago, Cobi said:

-58 kg: Adrián Vicente

• -48 kg: Javier Pérez Polo
  • -80 kg: Daniel Quesada

• -49 kg: Adriana Cerezo

Jesús Tortosa, 5th place in Rio and the guy who got the quota, will not go to the Olympics

I have to add that even in 80kg Spain is making a change, Raul Martinez originally qualified through the ranking.

Just now, MHSN said:

I have to add that even in 80kg Spain is making a change, Raul Martinez originally qualified through the ranking.

My mistake. Daniel Quesada was also considered, but in this case the federation selected Raúl Martínez.

I have just edited the post.

1 minute ago, Cobi said:

My mistake. Daniel Quesada was also considered, but in this case the federation selected Raúl Martínez.

I have just edited the post.

so Martinez is confirmed ?OK then

I'm trying to make the brackets based on the world ranking. so I'm interested to know who is going to Tokyo for each country.

btw by my count Vicente will be 8th or 9th seed which won't be good for Spain. it will be Braganca (POR) and then Jang (KOR) in the QF. Perez would be the 3rd seed. of course this is not final and any change in the names (like what Spain did) can change the bracket.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

so Martinez is confirmed ?OK then

I'm trying to make the brackets based on the world ranking. so I'm interested to know who is going to Tokyo for each country.

btw by my count Vicente will be 8th or 9th seed which won't be good for Spain. it will be Braganca (POR) and then Jang (KOR) in the QF. Perez would be the 3rd seed. of course this is not final and any change in the names (like what Spain did) can change the bracket.

Yes, Martínez is confirmed.

Vicente used to compete in -54 and he isn't good enough to get a medal in -58, unless he improves a lot in the next few weeks. The only chance would be to defeat Brangança and then be lucky with the repechage. This decision doesn't make any sense. The last results of Tortosa weren't as good as they used to be in 2017/18, but at least he had chances to get a medal.

• 1 month later...

WT ranking for 1 July is out.

https://worldtkd.simplycompete.com/playerRankingV2?limit=25&pageNo=1&month=6&year=2020&rankingCategoryId=11ea9376-9371-e3ef-aefb-0af9674366aa&subCategory1=11ea9376-4530-2b19-aefb-0af9674366aa&rankingTypeId=11ea9376-1b54-af01-aefb-0af9674366aa

this ranking will be used for the Olympic seeding. we can already have an idea about how the brackets will look like. still it's not 100% guaranteed because NOCs still can change their athletes and send someone with a different rank but that's very unlikely at this point.

by looking at the 58kg and 68kg seeding (where Iran has competitors) the brackets will be something like this

* host nation will be seeded #4

58kg

KOR vs PHI VS ESP vs POR

JPN vs ETH VS RUS vs TUN

----

ITA vs HUN VS AUS vs THA

IRI vs COL VS IRL vs ARG

68kg

both MLI and UZB are unseeded, one of them will be #15 and the other #16. that will be decided by blind draw

KOR vs TBD VS BRA vs TPE

JPN vs BIH VS ESP vs EGY

----

GBR vs TBD VS BEL vs TUR

CHN vs NZL VS IRI vs DOM

and it seems we will have a very interesting matchup at the beginning of women's 57kg competition. with an extra quota for the fakeugee Kimia Alizadeh, I assume #16 and #17 will have an extra bout against each other before entering the main draw. and guess who is #16 and who is #17 ?

:IOC Kimia Alizadeh and :IRI Nahid Kiani :wacko:

1 hour ago, prso1000 said:

Does anyone know if there is a special treatment of host nation at the draw? 

beside that the draw is including repechage or not? 

host athletes will take the 4th seed

and of course, something similar to wrestling with a small difference. athletes will fight the semifinal loser from the opposite side of the draw for the bronze.