Slovenia (Europe)

Croatia (Europe)

China (Asia)

Philippines (Asia)

Senegal (Africa)

Angola (Africa)

Mexico (Americas)

Uruguay (Americas)

I think Philippines will lose few places in FIBA world ranking after the world cup. they are only 17pts ahead of South Korea right now. I assume South Korea will be the 2nd Asian team

the other 7 teams will be most probably the same as you said.

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

Predicting 1/4 finals isnt easy but i will try.

1. Serbia has all in their hands,but now this could be even distaster. Before yesterday i would say that Argentina is clear outsider but now... things has changed. Serbia is in bad mood, Spain showed their weakness, there was tragic event in Micic familly,Serbia wont have any training session before the game. Considering all that, there is 50-50% chance. I wouldnt be surprised to see Serbia lose.

2. USA - France. USA improves match by match. Their level is ascending. France is also good but i am not so sure that they can beat USA, not in this round. I thought that USA has weakest team in years but even with this team they can win a gold. Conclusion is that no matter what names are in USA team,as long as they play in NBA and have good coach,they are still better than rest of the world.

3. Spain - Poland. Even though Poland is great, their road should end here. Spain will rise after great victory over Serbia.

4. Australia - Czech Republic. Australia is clear favorite but they shouldnt underestimate Czech team.

So, my picks for 1/2 final are Argentina - USA, Spain - Australia.

Argentina has played against weak teams till now. Even Russia played without their best 2017 players (khostov, shved, Mozgov). I think Serbia has a small edge but Argentinians are fighters to the end. It would be an interesting couple

Edited by George_D

Just now, LDOG said:

Well, thanks for the faith but it's a bit exaggerated :lol: I do think however that our team will play the best they can. 

Just a little bit but Yugoslavia was always playing hard matches against Argentina. :) 2002,2004,1998... 

Argentina is great team, no doubt, plus they are constantly improving.

Just now, George_D said:

Argentina has played against weak teams till now. Even Russia played without their best 2017 players (khostov, shved, Mozgov). I think Serbia has a small edge but Argentinians are fighters to the end. It would be an interesting couple

Probably most balanced pair. 

24 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Amazing job by the Czech Republic! I don't think anyone would have bet anything on them making it out of the 2nd group stage ahead of Brazil and especially Greece and all of that even without Vesely. I guess that the main reason for them making it out of the 2nd group stage was Giannis clearly underperforming, but if you look at their individual quality, then Greece still should have beaten them comfortably. I never considered Greece as strong as many others, but i still thought that Giannis would lead them out of the 2nd group stage and that they then would have a 50/50 match against France/Australia. Looking at the greek roster, i don't see nearly as much individual quality as on the spain/french/serbian roster and i think it might also have something to do with greek teams performing worse and worse every year in the Euroleague.

Yeah, thanks a lot. They have been showing an amazingly strong team spirit and as a team they are showing amazing performance. This is absolutely incredible. Moreover, I don't think that Australia is unbeatable. I believe they can defeat Straya and even fight for the direct Olympic quota. 

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I think Philippines will lose few places in FIBA world ranking after the world cup. they are only 17pts ahead of South Korea right now. I assume South Korea will be the 2nd Asian team

the other 7 teams will be most probably the same as you said.

I got confirmation from chinese TV, probably unofficial still but most likely China will not make it to the Olympic qialifying tournament. The whole country is super dissapointed. 

Just now, Jan Linha said:

I got confirmation from chinese TV, probably unofficial still but most likely China will not make it to the Olympic qialifying tournament. The whole country is super dissapointed. 

China got two wins at the World Cup. I think China will keep its place as the best Asian team in the world ranking (didn't count AUS/IRN/NZL)

I highly doubt China doesn't make it but if they don't want to participate that's another story.

Just now, MHSN said:

China got two wins at the World Cup. I think China will keep its place as the best Asian team in the world ranking (didn't count AUS/IRN/NZL)

I highly doubt China doesn't make it but if they don't want to participate that's another story.

Even if they participate what they can achieve? No chances to qualify for Olympics

43 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Didn't France win in 2016 OG? And I think they didn't play in 2017 euro. 

There is a good victory in 2014 though.

Yes. but matches were very close. One basket (-1) in both matches (2014  and 2016) and we beat them 2014 in SF. There is completly different story in matches against Spain and Lithuania. They can beat us even with +20.

Just now, George_D said:

Even if they participate what they can achieve? No chances to qualify for Olympics

of course there is no chance for the Asian teams. or I can say non-European teams (except Canada) but it was about participating in the OQT. if it was my team I would prefer playing there (instead of not playing) that's another chance to play couple of games against world class teams.