website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

9 minutes ago, dodge said:

To be fair the numbers were getting way too big. Less and less cities were able to host the games 

Also reaching gender equality and modernizing the program wasn't some flight of fancy, it is a necessity to keep the Olympics relevant.

...not that I agree with all the decisions they've made. Some of it is just baffling.

7 minutes ago, dodge said:

To be fair the numbers were getting way too big. Less and less cities were able to host the games 

While this is super true, the fact that core Olympic events are getting cut down or even dropped, things like skateboarding and breakdancing are getting their place, sorry but watching 10 year olds getting 3/10 at most and winning gold is ridiculous, the annoying attempt to be liked by “young generations “ is ruining the games

They’re not ‘ruining the games’. Honestly most people outside these obsessed forums don’t even watch a quarter of sports at the games

There’s multiple threads here from people who’d happily get rid of plenty of core sports too. 

I wouldn’t have breakdancing in but it won’t effect my enjoyment of the Games a tiny little bit

4 minutes ago, Dnl said:

While this is super true, the fact that core Olympic events are getting cut down or even dropped, things like skateboarding and breakdancing are getting their place, sorry but watching 10 year olds getting 3/10 at most and winning gold is ridiculous, the annoying attempt to be liked by “young generations “ is ruining the games

What's kind of funny is that most people I know that follow sports casually just sort of assumed skateboarding was already in the Olympics.

Just now, NearPup said:

What's kind of funny is that most people I know that follow sports casually just sort of assumed skateboarding was already in the Olympics.

It has the “Olympic vibe” but at the current form it’s just cringe to watch 

5 minutes ago, dodge said:

I wouldn’t have breakdancing in but it won’t effect my enjoyment of the Games a tiny little bit

Exactly my position. On skateboarding, to be fair with them, I think the women's skateboarding currently is in (quite rapid) development.
I am not an expert but I would say this also explains why the competitors there were much younger than in the men's field. Probably in a few years we will see much more consistent performances.
I can only speak on what I have experience with, but for example women's waterpolo did develop a lot since it was introduced to the Olympics in 2000.

1 minute ago, Dnl said:

It has the “Olympic vibe” but at the current form it’s just cringe to watch 

I have a lot of qualms about the format and the rules, but I do feel like a sport with a well established pro circuit with a lot of serious competitors that was healthy before the IOC got involved really deserves some credit for obviously doing something right (see also: surfing, climbing or my favourite whipping boy, karate).

5 minutes ago, dodge said:

They’re not ‘ruining the games’. Honestly most people outside these obsessed forums don’t even watch a quarter of sports at the games

There’s multiple threads here from people who’d happily get rid of plenty of core sports too. 

For sure it will still not bother me or effect my love for the games, but those tons of changes from one edition to the other, is doing more harm then good IMO, just think about kids that started weightlifting only to find out it’s going out from the games, some of the sports like Baseball Football and tennis could provide exposure and money without the Olympics but some of those sports are truly depends on them, 

Just now, Dnl said:

For sure it will still not bother me or effect my love for the games, but those tons of changes from one edition to the other, is doing more harm then good IMO, just think about kids that started weightlifting only to find out it’s going out from the games, some of the sports like Baseball Football and tennis could provide exposure and money without the Olympics but some of those sports are truly depends on them, 

This may sound harsh, but IMO if a sport depends on the Olympics it's more an argument to axe it than to keep it.