website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2021 Thread

Wumo

13 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Please ... just stop, reading your comments physically hurts me. The 2021 olympics were the best for german swimming since 2008 and it is the first time that more than one person won a medal since 2004 and the first time that a german men won a medal since 2000. Seeing how you constantly write bullshit with absolute conviction, when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about, actually makes me angry. One last point: Unlike many other countries Germany doesn't try to push the athletes to dope by offering crazy rewards (Germany pays less than half for a gold medal than Slovakia for example). When i see the rewards for bulgarian athletes and look at the state of their anti-doping-system, it seems like a no-brainer to dope if you are a remotely talented bulgarian athlete.

Could you please explain to me what is the state of the Bulgarian anti-doping system? The national anti-doping centre is certified using the same requirements as any other one in EU:

https://anti-doping.government.bg/en/

Let's also check the medals Bulgaria won at Tokyo:

Gold in rhythmic gymnastics - an entirely skill based sport

Gold in karate - a sport where technique is the primary way to win

Gold in boxing - a sport where judges decide your faith regardless of your strength and stamina plus it was in one of the middle weight categories

Silver in pistol shooting - steady hand and good mental strength required

Two bronzes in female freestyle wrestling - again a technique based sport

In which of the sports above did you last heard of any notable names worldwide as dopers? 

3 hours ago, stefanbg said:

Could you please explain to me what is the state of the Bulgarian anti-doping system? The national anti-doping centre is certified using the same requirements as any other one in EU:

Gold in boxing - a sport where judges decide your faith regardless of your strength and stamina plus it was in one of the middle weight categories

In which of the sports above did you last heard of any notable names worldwide as dopers? 

Doping obviously helps in boxing, wrestling and shooting. In shooting for example you could ask an Hungarian user about a recent case. 

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

15 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

All I can say is: the ability to ignore some users does wonders for my mental health here.

It is not that simple. You can't just ignore them, cause their comments are quoted by other users (why they quote them and answer to their posts is uknown to me).

That's why I almost haven't used totallympics at all during the games, trying not to spoil my olympic mood.

And @Sindo wrote here few days ago that he's not going to do anything with this really, so I'm rather pessimistic about future of totallympics board.

4 hours ago, stefanbg said:

Boxing and definitely, absolutely wrestling :p 

Because technique is important, like in any sport, but strength, endurance and training hours simply are important too. And just to clarify, I don't mean this as anything towards Bulgaria at all, just specifically about the sports :d 

Sadly there is basically no sport where some form of doping (be that beta blockers to steady the nerves and hands, good old blood transfusions or whatever steroids) doesn't give some form of advantage.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

It is not that simple. You can't just ignore them, cause their comments are quoted by other users (why they quote them and answer to their posts is uknown to me).

That's why I almost haven't used totallympics at all during the games, trying not to spoil my olympic mood.

And @Sindo wrote here few days ago that he's not going to do anything with this really, so I'm rather pessimistic about future of totallympics board.

I mean, you don't have to ignore OlympicsFan to have fun on this site.

A person like this can't be taken seriously, his posts are r/iamverysmart material at this point. As long as you keep that in mind his posts shouldn't bother you that much. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be reported when he crosses the line (like in the athletics thread last week) or that people shouldn't call him out every time he reappers, that way I think he will be gone sooner rather than later, even if Sindo doesn't want to ban him, and we will have once less annoyance on this board.  

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Boxing and definitely, absolutely wrestling :p 

Because technique is important, like in any sport, but strength, endurance and training hours simply are important too. And just to clarify, I don't mean this as anything towards Bulgaria at all, just specifically about the sports :d 

Sadly there is basically no sport where some form of doping (be that beta blockers to steady the nerves and hands, good old blood transfusions or whatever steroids) doesn't give some form of advantage.

All I meant is that rarely a cheater is exposed during major International competitions in these sports (especially Olympics). Usually weightlifting, cycling and athletics are the leaders by miles. Now that I saw the figures from WADA, I have been surprised by the high percentage of dopers in boxing and wrestling. Sorry if I mislead somebody. Apparently equestrian is the absolute "champion" percentage-wise

(https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/2019_anti-doping_testing_figures_en.pdf)

8 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

This substance seems to be in high "demand" as two brazilians got caught recently: Fernanda Borges (discus throw, only got a 2 months suspension and was allowed to compete in Tokyo to dismal results), and Tandara (volleyball, also competed at the Games and was suspended after QF, will also allege "unintentional use" but won't get any help from the brazilian committee).

13 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

This substance seems to be in high "demand" as two brazilians got caught recently: Fernanda Borges (discus throw, only got a 2 months suspension and was allowed to compete in Tokyo to dismal results), and Tandara (volleyball, also competed at the Games and was suspended after QF, will also allege "unintentional use" but won't get any help from the brazilian committee).

Imagine if we find out Tandara and Ujah got it from the same source. 

One of the British papers is bound to try and imply he was poisoned by Italy or Russia or China or any random country. It feels the obvious route the press will go down. I mean the daily Mail article on Ujah calls the investigation into Jacobs a doping probe.