website statistics

Historical Sport Pictures

Gianlu33

Exactly 100 years ago,

on the same day the 19th September 1922 two amazing athletes were born in Czechoslovakia. Both later became Olympic champions on the same day 24th July 1952 in Helsinki Dana won the Javelin Throw and Emil the 5000m (he later as still the only athlete in history added golds in 10000 and Marathon at the same games), then both married and lived together until their deaths.

Emil and Dana Zátopek

Today google in CZ and SVK appears with this nice doodle

image.png

Both would have today 100 years.

emil-zatopek-(vaclav-neuzil)-a-dana-zato

Edited by hckošice

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Today I again learned something new.

In 1939 in Durban, South Africa and England played the longest sport match ever. Their Circket test games lasted more than 10 days.

The longest cricket match in history went on for an incredible 12 days - even then, it still ended without a winner! Beginning on Friday 3rd March, it continued for 43 hours and 16 minutes. The game was then abandoned because the ship taking the England team home was due to leave. :p

C57Nng8WYAETvYM.jpg

9 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Today I again learned something new.

In 1939 in Durban, South Africa and England played the longest sport match ever. Their Circket test games lasted more than 10 days.

The longest cricket match in history went on for an incredible 12 days - even then, it still ended without a winner! Beginning on Friday 3rd March, it continued for 43 hours and 16 minutes. The game was then abandoned because the ship taking the England team home was due to leave. :p

C57Nng8WYAETvYM.jpg

A little explanation. In those days if a series of matches was tied before the final game of 5, the rules allowed the final game to be played until it concluded.

Unfortunately three days in the middle of the match were completely lost to rain.

On the 12th and last day England needed 50 more to win but it started raining again with three hours of play left.

It didn't stop raining at all and the train to meet the ship taking them home was due to leave five hours later.

One plan was for all the England players to take the ship except for the six players who still had to bat but eventually they all left for home

43 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Also I think I'm right that Slovakia declared independence in the middle of the game. 

The first day of the most shameful era of our history. A shame that we will never erase and will have to live with it forever. :(

Edited by hckošice