website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

Totallympics

I believe athletes don’t need the World Championship criteria in order to earn a reallocation, or further allocation down the line, so perhaps some the countries who missed women’s quotas might have a chance. 

Hopefully some of the women are able to pull a miracle in the sprint tomorrow.

I just watched both races, and damn! The women’s race was merciless thanks to Baiba. I was impressed overall with the quality skiing from the Brazilian team @heywoodu. Great day for the Danes, Chanloungs, and Campbell Wright as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Just a causal 159 entries in the men’s sprint :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I don’t believe Campbell Wright will start in the 15km. He posted on Instagram that he’s heading back to Austria for the Junior/Youth Biathlon World Championships. 

He probably just raced in order to qualify for the Olympics, but it was a damn good ski from him today.

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

and not :SVK

not good sign

Slovakia might have to hope for some ranking/reallocation magic if they want any men’s skiers in Beijing.

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Slovakia might have to hope for some ranking/reallocation magic if they want any men’s skiers in Beijing.

We need the Ice Hockey quota, CC Skiing does not interest anyone in Slovakia, well exept the skiers themselves :p

Just thought I’d give an overall qualification update, so we can know where things stand heading into heading into the sprints.

Countries (with skiers entered at the world championships) that remain without a female athlete eligible for a basic quota: :HUN:LTU:GRE:MGL:BIH:MKD:SRB:BUL:IRI:MNE:CHI:COL:MEX:POR:LBN:AUS:ROU:KOR:ESP:SVK:AUT

Countries (with skiers entered at the world championships) that remain without a male athlete eligible for a basic quota: :ECU:PER:TTO:TAN:ISR:VEN:MAS:ESP

You can see the damage done by Bendika on the women’s side. Plus, a few countries who have yet to race. 

Of the 8 countries without a quota on the men’s side, only 3 of them will start in the sprint (ESP, TTO, VEN). My guess is that only Spain stands a chance of meeting the criteria.

48 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I need to correct this @hckošice. :SVK had a men’s skier meet the criteria at the U23 World Champs, so Slovakia will get a basic quota for the men.

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Countries (with skiers entered at the world championships) that remain without a female athlete eligible for a basic quota: :HUN:LTU:GRE:MGL:BIH:MKD:SRB:BUL:IRI:MNE:CHI:COL:MEX:POR:LBN:AUS:ROU:KOR:ESP:SVK:AUT

You can see the damage done by Bendika on the women’s side. Plus, a few countries who have yet to race. 

Can you explain why Bendika participation damaged the qualification process of many NOC?

Sorry if explained before, did not read anywhere else