website statistics

Weightlifting 2021 Discussion Thread

MHSN

Heavy lifting finally completed as IWF overwhelmingly passes new weightlifting constitution

August 30, 2021

Pyrros Dimas tells Around the Rings “I see happy faces, happy people and I hope everything will be the same from here to the future.”

The International Weightlifting Federation overwhelmingly approves a new constitution just days before the IOC Executive Board is to meet about the future of the sport in the Olympics.

The vote came on Sunday at a second IWF Constitutional Congress being held in Doha, Qatar. The first one in late June ended with no agreement.

Pyrros Dimas, the legendary Greek weightlifter who is a member of the IWF Executive Board, tells Around the Rings “we’ve voted with 93.3 percent, a huge percentage, this is for me a victory for our sport. I was very worried before I came here but I see people who support our sport and they decide to keep our sport in the Olympics”.

When asked if the new constitution would pass muster with the IOC, Dimas says “”I think yes because we did what the IOC wants. And we have nothing to be afraid about that.”

The IOC Executive Board is scheduled to meet on Sept. 8. At the last IOC Session in Tokyo, the EB was given powers to suspend a federation from participating in an Olympics. The IOC has repeatedly warned the IWF that the sport could lose its place at Paris 2024 if specific criteria for internal governance reform and anti-doping measures weren’t implemented in a new constitution.

While the 156-page constitution has been approved, there are five amendments to the document that still need to be discussed and decided. This effort will likely run into Monday.

After the amendments are handled, the IWF Executive Board is scheduled to meet to discuss specifics including when and where the delayed Electoral Congress will be held.

Dimas says that after the EB meeting is completed, the IWF will publish the new constitution in its entirety.

But he says the hardest part of the process – the approval of the new constitution – has been accomplished.

“I’m seeing all this, what’s happened today here very positive and I see happy faces, happy people and I hope everything will be the same from here to the future.”

Source: Gerard Farek – Around the Ring

https://iwf.sport/2021/08/30/heavy-lifting-finally-completed-as-iwf-overwhelmingly-passes-new-weightlifting-constitution/

• 3 weeks later...

2017 Asian champion Albert Linder of Kazakhstan has died, aged 25.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Linder

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a reminder that every medal counts. :GUA Gilberto Lemus crying on the podium at the 2021 Pan American Weightlifting Championships after getting a C&J medal. This is his first medal at the Pan Am Championships after 10 years trying hard to get one.

image.png

I think this is the best place for me to ask this question, instead of posting on the retirements thread.

According to Brazilian news, Fernando Reis informed the IWF that he will retire from the sport. The news mention that this will exempt him from taking any more anti-doping tests but, and that this is not set in stone because he can still revert this decision and resume training.

My question is: is this a common "tactic" for lifters to skip being tested? Is this something that other lifters usually do when they want to take a break and resume training later? I don't think Reis will be back, especially because he's 31 now and I expect his ban to last for at least 4 years, and I simply don't see how he could go back to the sport at 35/36. But I'm still curious about whether this is commonly used by athletes for not being tested or not.

8 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I think this is the best place for me to ask this question, instead of posting on the retirements thread.

According to Brazilian news, Fernando Reis informed the IWF that he will retire from the sport. The news mention that this will exempt him from taking any more anti-doping tests but, and that this is not set in stone because he can still revert this decision and resume training.

My question is: is this a common "tactic" for lifters to skip being tested? Is this something that other lifters usually do when they want to take a break and resume training later? I don't think Reis will be back, especially because he's 31 now and I expect his ban to last for at least 4 years, and I simply don't see how he could go back to the sport at 35/36. But I'm still curious about whether this is commonly used by athletes for not being tested or not.

You can't simply revert it. I mean you can revert it but then you have to wait 6 months (and be tested like others) to be allowed to compete in international competitions. (not sure if that's 6 months or 3 but I think that's 6)

our weightlifter Sohrab Moradi had this problem for 2016 Rio Olympics. when he was banned our WL federation mistakenly (and without his knowledge) announced him retired to the IWF and when he came back from his suspension trying to qualify for the Olympics he found out he has to wait another 6 months! :facepalm: 

later IWF (Ajan himself) allowed him to participate at the Pan-American Champs as a guest to complete his two qualification marks and he won the gold in Rio but he almost missed the Olympics because of that mistake.

It's still not as bad as I thought. I mean, he mentioned in his defense that he has an adenoma, a tumor which produces cortisol, and he has never taken any forbidden substances. If he proves his point, and this is a big if, I can see his ban being reduced or even maybe nullified. I have no idea if there were similar cases before and how these were judged, but in my mind if it's proved that it was a tumor with no fault whatsoever of the lifter himself, then banning him would be pretty harsh.

Anyway, a different point is that, if he ever returns to weightlifting, I don't think he's going to represent Brazil again. He lives in the USA, he doesn't plan to come back to Brazil and the only reason he represented Brazil is because the government paid him lots of money. When he was provisionally suspended, the funding was cut and it would be hard for him to get it back until everything has been proved.

it seems they saved doping samples from other competitions as well!

list of doped weightlifters from 2012 European Champs in re-testing, some of these guys were already caught for other doping violations.

https://iwf.sport/2021/11/18/the-ita-asserts-13-rule-violations-against-weightlifters-following-a-re-analysis-campaign-of-2012-samples/

• Hysen Pulaku (Albania)
  • Hanna Batsiushka (Belarus)
  • Dimitris Minasidis (Cyprus)
  • Irakli Turmanidze (Georgia)
  • Rauli Tsirekidze (Georgia)
  • Cristina Iovu (Moldova)
  • Florin Ionut Croitoru (Romania)
  • Razvan Constantin Martin (Romania)
  • Oxana Slivenko (Russia)
  • Gokhan Kilic (Turkey)
  • Bunyami Sezer (Turkey)
  • Hatice Yilmaz (Turkey)