website statistics

Water Polo 2021 Discussion Thread

DaniSRB

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

SO PROUD OF OUR GIRLS! Truly amazing to be European champions once again :champion:

Every member of our team is Greek. It's a shame that our clubs do so well but our national team always comes up short. Of course we deserve to be in Tokyo over South Africa and Canada.

• 4 months later...

Men's european junior water polo championships concluded today in Malta. :SRBSerbia won the gold medal beating :GREGreece (10-6) in the final. :HUNHungary won bronze with a 13-12 win over Spain on penalty shoot-out. :MNEMontenegro ended up 5th after beating Croatia (14-12) and :NEDNetherlands finished 7th after defeating :ITAItaly (11-9).

So this year we won silver for both men's and women's European junior water polo championships, not bad :GRE:clap:

Also our men won silver at the Olympics and bronze at the World League. And our U15 team won European bronze.

We need to win a gold now! Too many silver and bronze :d

• 2 months later...

Draw for Euro 2022 qualifications:

Men:

Group A: Slovenia (host), Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium

Group B: Georgia (host), Slovakia, Belarus, Poland

Group C: Malta (host), Romania, Lithuania, Ireland

Group D: Israel (host), Turkey, Netherlands, Ukraine

Women: 

Group A: Romania (host), Slovakia, Germany, Ukraine, Ireland

Group B: Serbia (host), Greece, Switzerland, Turkey, Belgium

Group C: Malta (host), France, Israel, Portugal

@Makedonas@maestro and all the Greek users...

that's quite a story...

Carolina Ioannou (Greek father and Italian mother), raised and trained in Italy (where she played also for our youth/junior National teams) has chosen to switch her sports nationality and from now on she's committed to play for the Greek National team, after coming to play club Waterpolo in Greece last Summer (at the Ethnikos Piraeus club)...

my bad, but I only found this article in Italian...

https://www.oasport.it/2021/12/pallanuoto-la-storia-di-carolina-ioannou-cambio-di-cittadinanza-sportiva-convocata-dalla-grecia/?refresh_ce

Very interesting. I was surprised to see her name in the callups yesterday, though I'm not sure how good she is. Still, it doesn't change the fact that her Ethnikos Piraeus teammate Stephanie Haralabidis (who was born and raised in Greece and is one of the best players in the world) plays for USA instead of Greece :cry:. Though she got an Olympic gold medal so I guess it was the right choice for her.

Italy had a half Greek on their Olympic softball team in Tokyo, so I guess we're even now :lol:

And our two best female marathon runners are half Italian, Alexi Pappas (from USA) and Gloria Privileggio (from Greece).

EDIT-We actually had the Valcareggi siblings in alpine skiing, they were born in Italy but their mother is Greek and they switched to Greece, one of them actually represented Greece in Sochi even.