website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

3 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Well, it is @heywoodu choice to make.

it could work with your proposed team gymnastics format or the one explained by Wojthas. 

I would go with whichever one was simpler to keep track of both by the one keeping track of it and the people following along. I've always found team challenges a bit of a...well, challenge to really follow, so I'd always choose a format that's not too complicated with all kinds of bonuses and such :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Olympian1010: "There Are Songs I Enjoy From Genres I Don't Like"

PkcGs6w.png

Ever since Olympian1010 joined the festivities, America's rate of awarding points to winners has risen from 40% (4/10) to 50% (7/14). One might argue that the States have lost some of their anti-establishment aura. Others suggest their votes have become even more unpredictable. Maybe we will get some answers right here and now...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: Yes. I begin the process of evaluating songs by listening to each song twice. At this point, I give each song a “yes” or “no.” Songs that get a “yes” advance to the next part of the process. In the second part of the process, I start to rank songs. I evaluate the lyrical, musical, and video/performance (when possible) content of each entry. I then do my best to rank each song based on the scores I’ve given them, and how much I like them in general. So then I have a provisional ranking for all the songs, and I do head-to-head ladder matches like in the fencing bonus round of the modern pentathlon to determine my final points allocation.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: Generally, I recognize 3-5 songs that I know will compete for my 12 points. It can take a little more time to decide which song gets the 12 points. 

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: Ha, this might be the hardest question. My best answer, yes/no. I definitely enjoy alternative music, and would probably identify it as my favorite genre. However, I listen to music from a multitude of genres, and there are songs I enjoy from genres I don’t like. 

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Like I said in a previous answer, one of the criteria I use to evaluate songs is lyrical merit. Lyrics are no more important to me than vocal merit, musical composition, or overall impression though. 

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Olympian1010?

A: Choose something unique. I really enjoy music as an art form. I enjoy a song that is creative/original, that meets the criteria I outlined in previous answers.

If Olympian1010's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The West Coast juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

Yeah a simple team format is always best because there is so much going on during the final that it makes for a better experience to have easy to follow formats. We may have a previous format tried and tested for a 35 nation contest. @dcro do you know if we’ve had a team event before with 35 nations?

6 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yeah a simple team format is always best because there is so much going on during the final that it makes for a better experience to have easy to follow formats. We may have a previous format tried and tested for a 35 nation contest. @dcro do you know if we’ve had a team event before with 35 nations?

We used the relay format (with added twists). I guess we could use simple relay format, jumbo scoreboard (all team members scoring all the time), or something similar.

#banbestmen

Gianlu33: "I Could Give You 12, and You Might Still Get 0 from Italy"

8azisMI.png

There is a lot of unity inside the Italian jury. So much so that, for example, Liquid Lunch could only get 11 Italian points - despite scoring from all four jurors and getting three internal medals! Mamma Mia did one better and got four internal medals. This unity sometimes leaves very little room for singular preferences, though...

Much like fellow Italians, Gianlu33 has been a true stalwart of his nations' TISC campaign. Notably, however, Gianlu33 was the only one of the Italian resident panelists who have taken part in the Special Event this Summer...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I have to admit to being a bit obsessive-compulsive when it comes to evaluating TISC songs. I used a lot of different systems in the years. I like to change it. I also tried a sort of "championship", where each song challenged the others in head-to-head matches.

This year I did 2 "blind listenings", without knowing the singer or the country, and after that, I discarded some nations. I listened again (plus marked) the other songs, giving a score from 0 to 5. After the scoring, I divided the songs into a sort of "rating category", and I compared them among them.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: Absolutely not, sometimes a song that I really like at the first listening doesn't manage to make a score in the final ranking. I need some time to decide it, and it's for this reason that I'm almost the last to send the scores, and sometimes I need an extension of the deadline.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I really like the rock-pop (like Ligabue or Vasco Rossi), but I enjoy other genres [too]. And something I decided to reward are some risky choices, with a more classic rhythm.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: As is well known, I am not known for my excellent English. If in daily listening to my playlist (completely in Italian) lyrics is fundamental, for the TISC it has absolutely no importance. But I give a look to the video clip or google translator to understand the message of the songs I give a very high rating.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Gianlu33?

A: By participating with a good song and also convincing the other Italian jurors. I could give you a 12, and you might still get 0 points from Italy.

If Gianlu33's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The Italian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

8 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

What about an elimination race style team event. Team with the lowest score after each leg eliminated. 
Leg 1 - 7 teams start, 6 teams advance

Leg 2 - 6 teams start, 5 teams advance

Leg 3 - 5 teams start, 4 teams advance

Leg 4 - 4 teams start, 3 teams advance

Leg 5 - 3 teams start and compete for the medals.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

What about an elimination race style team event. Team with the lowest score after each leg eliminated. 
Leg 1 - 7 teams start, 6 teams advance

Leg 2 - 6 teams start, 5 teams advance

Leg 3 - 5 teams start, 4 teams advance

Leg 4 - 4 teams start, 3 teams advance

Leg 5 - 3 teams start and compete for the medals.

I like that idea. A step away from the relay for a change.

Also it stops one team from running away.

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

I like that idea. A step away from the relay for a change.

Also it stops one team from running away.

I have good ideas from time to time :p

If that’s the format we go with, should points reset after each leg, or should points carry over from leg to leg (think ISSF final format)?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela