website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

2 godziny temu, phelps napisał:

those are the numbers from the last world champs in both sports (and please, consider that NTL at the moment is not an Olympic discipline and at that time -January 2019, date of the last worlds- it wasn't even supposed to be)...

Well, I was talking about today. Who knows what future can bring? But claiming that in naturals for sure will compete more nations than in artificials is a little hasty in my opinion. It's possible, why not, but not certain. But talking about todays numbers. I personally prefer to compare WC than WCh. Not every nation compete at WCh but if someone doesn't compete in WC even once in four years, than he probably doesn't compete at all. And because we're talking about number of countries competing in whole discipline let's compare theme together not with spliting them into events, shall we? :) 

So, if I didn't miss anybody, in four last seasons in artificial WC competed athletes from 34 countries. In natural it was 24 countries. This 24 included :BRA :JPN :NZL and :SRB which didn't compete on artificial at all. Countries which competed only on artificials was :AUS :BUL :CAN (!) :CHN :GEO :IND :KOR :LAT (!) :NED :NOR :POR :SVK :SWE and :TPE Some of this countries probably wouldn't have problems with making their own natural lugers, especially Canada, China and Latvia but the rest of them? Probably it would depends on that naturals would replace artificials or would be with them at the olympics. In this last possibility I wouldn't count that many of them would try.

3 hours ago, hckosice said:

New Zealand Luge

UnnaturalGratefulAntelope-size_restricte

They actually have a rather large natural track luge program that the FIL shares updates from, quite frequently, on their social media pages.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 hours ago, Col_Frost said:

I disagree. There are more countries competing on artificials. The track had to be build unless you get rid off bobsleigh and skeleton too. And of course there is something called tradition ;) 

Yes, this is the best argument for keeping artificial track luge on the program. While there are currently more countries competing in artificial track luge, I think that is just the Olympic bump. If natural track goes Olympic, I think we’d see a much higher participation rate there. 

Natural Track Luge is as traditional as luge gets by the way. That’s where the sport has it’s roots. Of course, artificial track is the traditional Olympic discipline of the sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

And a whole host of disadvantages. It's basically like replacing track cycling with cyclo-cross. I mean, it's both done on two wheels and you wouldn't need a cycling track anymore, so what's the problem? Every country can get some mud together.

Seriously thinking about replacing artificial track with natural track luge makes one wonder if people in favor of that actually ever watch said sports, because in that case one would realize it's just two totally different sports.

I’ve watched both :d (world cups and world champs)

1 hour ago, Col_Frost said:

Well, I was talking about today. Who knows what future can bring? But claiming that in naturals for sure will compete more nations than in artificials is a little hasty in my opinion. It's possible, why not, but not certain. But talking about todays numbers. I personally prefer to compare WC than WCh. Not every nation compete at WCh but if someone doesn't compete in WC even once in four years, than he probably doesn't compete at all. And because we're talking about number of countries competing in whole discipline let's compare theme together not with spliting them into events, shall we? :) 

So, if I didn't miss anybody, in four last seasons in artificial WC competed athletes from 34 countries. In natural it was 24 countries. This 24 included :BRA :JPN :NZL and :SRB which didn't compete on artificial at all. Countries which competed only on artificials was :AUS :BUL :CAN (!) :CHN :GEO :IND :KOR :LAT (!) :NED :NOR :POR :SVK :SWE and :TPE Some of this countries probably wouldn't have problems with making their own natural lugers, especially Canada, China and Latvia but the rest of them? Probably it would depends on that naturals would replace artificials or would be with them at the olympics. In this last possibility I wouldn't count that many of them would try.

Those countries compete in artificial merely because there’s a small chance of Olympic qualification for them. If you were the swap ATL for NTL, most of them would switch immediately, since they are only interested in Olympic qualification. Plus, it would be easier for some of those countries ( :BUL, :CAN, :CHN, :GEO, :KOR, :NOR, :SVK, :SWEto field athletes in NTL luge becuase they could actually have their own tracks. 

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Those countries compete in artificial merely because there’s a small chance of Olympic qualification for them. If you were the swap ATL for NTL, most of them would switch immediately, since they are only interested in Olympic qualification. Plus, it would be easier for some of those countries ( :BUL, :CAN, :CHN, :GEO, :KOR, :NOR, :SVK, :SWEto field athletes in NTL luge becuase they could actually have their own tracks. 

Half the countries you listed already have artificial luge tracks :P

Coincidentally only half of the countries you listed appear to have natural luge tracks, too (according to WIkipedia).

18 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Half the countries you listed already have artificial luge tracks :P

Coincidentally only half of the countries you listed appear to have natural luge tracks, too (according to WIkipedia).

Yeah, I was going off @Col_Frost list.

1 godzinę temu, Olympian1010 napisał:

I think that is just the Olympic bump

That's quite harsh opinion, don't you think? I would understand if you would name like that boxing for judges problems or weightlifting because of doping but luge? C'mon.

1 godzinę temu, Olympian1010 napisał:

Those countries compete in artificial merely because there’s a small chance of Olympic qualification for them. If you were the swap ATL for NTL, most of them would switch immediately, since they are only interested in Olympic qualification.

It's only your opinion, unless you have some proof to confirm it ;) I also have opinion and I think that many lugers wouldn't do it, especially older ones. Naturals and artificials aren't very similar disciplines. I think many lugers rather change to bobsleigh or even skeleton than natural luge. Some of them probably end their carriers.

6 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

It's only your opinion, unless you have some proof to confirm it ;) I also have opinion and I think that many lugers wouldn't do it, especially older ones. Naturals and artificials aren't very similar disciplines. I think many lugers rather change to bobsleigh or even skeleton than natural luge. Some of them probably end their carriers.

I just don’t see Lien Te An getting support from the Chinese Taipei NOC, or Alex Ferlazzo from the Australian NOC with ATL being the Olympic discipline. I don’t doubt that they love ATL, but the support wouldn’t be there for them if it wasn’t Olympic. I know that’s a harsh take, but that’s just the sad reality of non-powerhouse nations in Winter Olympic sport. 

Right because ATL has more in common with Bobsleigh and Skeleton than it does with NTL (which is much better representation of traditional luge), which why I said it makes sense to keep ATL around if you have Bobsleigh and Skeleton on the program.