website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, it was nice to see Soldier Hollow get another World Cup stop. I’m a little concerned about turnout since it’s at the end of the season after the European legs...

But imagine... The biathlon season actually ending in America.

Jokes aside, that type of travel might actually affect the quality of athletes for the end of the season, when they're already tired. 

Sure, there will be some athletes that absolutely nope out of that, but there are some countries that won't have that choice since they need to keep up on their nation cup points.

4 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Jokes aside, that type of travel might actually affect the quality of athletes for the end of the season, when they're already tired. 

Sure, there will be some athletes that absolutely nope out of that, but there are some countries that won't have that choice since they need to keep up on their nation cup points.

Meaning this will end up being the perfect recipe for having an IBU Cup-like event as the World Cup Final. Great.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 minutes ago, Werloc said:

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Meaning this will end up being the perfect recipe for having an IBU Cup-like event as the World Cup Final. Great.

This the is the problem I’m concerned with. The only solution that I could even see remotely making all parties happy, would be to have Canmore and Soldier Hollow be the two pre-holidays World Cups, and then have the tour pick up in Europe after the holidays.

The main problem is that European fans/athletes complain anytime there’s World Cup stops in North America, and North American fans are always grumpy that the US/Canada only get host World Cups every 5 seasons or so, and generally at a point in the season, where half the athletes don’t show up.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This the is the problem I’m concerned with. The only solution that I could even see remotely making all parties happy, would be to have Canmore and Soldier Hollow be the two pre-holidays World Cups, and then have the tour pick up in Europe after the holidays.

The main problem is that European fans/athletes complain anytime there’s World Cup stops in North America, and North American fans are always grumpy that the US/Canada only get host World Cups every 5 seasons or so, and generally at a point in the season, where half the athletes don’t show up.

It's not just the athletes who might not show up in very large numbers :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's not just the athletes who might not show up in very large numbers :p 

The IBU can’t grow the sport if they never leave Europe. Also, crowds were pretty good when the World Cup came to Soldier Hollow. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The IBU can’t grow the sport if they never leave Europe. Also, crowds were pretty good when the World Cup came to Soldier Hollow. 

Oh I don't disagree at all, I just don't think having the World Cup Finals there is a good idea (yet). Nothing will make everyone happy, but a World Cup Final with the feel of an IBU Cup...meh. Nothing against IBU Cups by the way, I love them, but not as a major event :d 

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Oh I don't disagree at all, I just don't think having the World Cup Finals there is a good idea (yet). Nothing will make everyone happy, but a World Cup Final with the feel of an IBU Cup...meh. Nothing against IBU Cups by the way, I love them, but not as a major event :d 

Right, that’s why suggested scheduling North American stops early in the season.

It’s be cool if the first two World Cups rotated between North America and Asia each season.

12 hours ago, rybak said:

So, even after excellent European Championships, Duszniki Zdrój will not host any single World Cup stage until at least 2026, ridiculous....

Sadly Nove Mesto keeps Duszniki out of the World Cup running IMO. Marketa Davidova has a bigger appeal than any of our girls and the Czech men are obviously better than ours too.

North American legs in winter sports should always be at the beginning of the season. Alpine found this is the perfect timing years ago.

On one hand, snow conditions are much better in NA in November and December, than in Europe. And secondly, since it's the beginning of the season, the athletes are fresh, the long travel wouldn't be a problem and you guarantee a full roster. 15 days in NA and then a Christmas break sounds perfect for me. You can even slot an Asian leg too, if you'd want to make them 3. 

But having them in the middle or end of the season just doesn't work!