website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

1 hour ago, bestmen said:

Explosion in the btidge of Crimea

Belated birthday present for Putin :cheer: 

6HhagH7.jpg

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, bestmen said:

nothing glad with that.... people are dying 

Yes, and they have Putin to thank for that.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Devastating news unfolding in my home place of Donegal. A nearby village from my workplace suffered a heartbreaking tragedy yesterday as an explosion at a petrol station has claimed the lives of 7 people already with many more still missing and many critical in hospital :cry:

As I was leaving work yesterday afternoon I saw lots of emergency services travelling with sirens and I had wondered what on Earth was happening as I saw them travelling. I was shocked later to hear what had happened.

Creeslough is a small village with a population of just 400 and I can’t even imagine how things will ever go back to normal there. This was the centre of the village, the only shop but it was also the location of the post office, hairdresser, agricultural store and contained apartments. It happened just after 3pm when the local schools had finished for the day and old people also were coming to collect their pension.

Thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their families :cry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63183510.amp

Number of dead has now risen to 10 including 3 children. The youngest casualty is a young girl and her father who stopped off to buy some sweets as a Friday treat after school finished for the week :cry:

No one else is unaccounted for at the scene so they don’t expect to find any more victims at the location. There are a further 8 people transported to hospital, one of whom was transferred to Dublin and is believed to be in critical condition. 

It is also believed that all victims are local. An unbelievable tragedy for this small community.

I’m curious if any other countries/states/regions 

/etc. have “dueling” holidays like we have in California/U.S today.

I was reminded today was Indigenous Peoples’ Day in California when my university welcomed indigenous groups to perform folk songs/dances on campus. However, other states and the federal government celebrate the day as Columbus Day, or in some cases, celebrate both as a holiday today. It’s a weird situation that rises from the legacy of colonization in the Americas and modern political discourse. I’m curious if there are situations of “duel” holidays like this in other places because it’s odd seeing different messaging for established holidays on the same day. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

29 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Alpine skiing turns up on my TV programme guide for the first time this year!  :hearts:

I saw it Sunday on Eurosport's schedule, but oddly they had it listed for next weekend (so this week) :d 

They are a bit too enthusiastic I think :p 

30 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Alpine skiing turns up on my TV programme guide for the first time this year!  :hearts:

And I now realize I had plenty of alpine skiing on my TV programme guide in the first three months of the year :evil: