website statistics

European Championships 2022

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

They’re very expensive to maintain.  Track cycling went out of fashion about 30 years ago & many old ones were lost. Recently it has become important again, but too late for the old tracks.

I wouldn't say it's getting important again. Just that it became critical for various national programs to have at least an handfull of tracks available.

Drop the sport from the olympics, and it will be gone entirely in a generation.

10 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Track Cycling is the reason why I can't ever see Budapest hosting this multisport event. No way we would want to build a venue for track cycling, it's too expensive and it's one of our weakest discipline. 

This edition set a standard: find a venue and build a temporary track, whatever the size it fits.  

maybe one day or another UCI will accept to get back to the good old 400m tracks (and you can find a lot of them in many European places...moreover, you can build football/rugby stadiums with that kind of track all around makin'it a lot less expensive as they would be multi purpose facilities)...

24 minutes ago, phelps said:

maybe one day or another UCI will accept to get back to the good old 400m tracks (and you can find a lot of them in many European places...moreover, you can build football/rugby stadiums with that kind of track all around makin'it a lot less expensive as they would be multi purpose facilities)...

Lol, we barely build any new athletic track stadiums these days, we are definitely not going to build ones for track cycling ! Besides the few we still have left are in an awful state (in France at least, but I believe it's the same everywhere).

Track cycling used to be a popular sport. It isn't the case anymore and it ain't coming back. Today, it's just one of these sports that survives thanks to the olympics :nopompom:

I am not sure how many care about this, but I think it will be interesting how this European medal table will go without Russia. 

European Championships + Aquatics European Championships medal table after Day 1

1. :ITA  2-2-2

2. :HUN  1-1-1

3. :NED  1-0-0

3. :UKR  1-0-0

5. :GBR  0-2-0

6. :FRA  0-0-2

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Lol, we barely build any new athletic track stadiums these days, we are definitely not going to build ones for track cycling ! Besides the few we still have left are in an awful state (in France at least, but I believe it's the same everywhere).

Track cycling used to be a popular sport. It isn't the case anymore and it ain't coming back. Today, it's just one of these sports that survives thanks to the olympics :nopompom:

Anyway, the most important moment in the history of every new track is the first crash & for Munich Messe that honour went to the :GBR Women’s Sprint Team, so well done girls! :champion:

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

You still have Six Days, so it wouldn’t completely die off, just reduced to something like cyclo-cross.

25 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

You still have Six Days, so it wouldn’t completely die off, just reduced to something like cyclo-cross.

Yeah, I forgot about the Six Days. But that just a few events here and there, and very fragile. Keirin in Japan would also survive.