website statistics

Junior Pan American Games 2021

Totallympics

:LCA becomes the 31st NOC with a medal after a bronze in sailing :thumbup:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

:BRA ends with a medal in every sport here except for 3x3 Basketball, Baseball, Softball and Bowling (the only sport we didn't participate).

Not only that: a medal in every discipline in gymnastics and cycling.

And for the fist time ever, we have one gold medal for each discipline in gymnastics! Seriously, a gold medal in trampoline is something I would never expect, especially because :USA and :CAN sent their best gymnasts to the Games!

Some considerations about the first Junior Pan American Games. After fighting for the top spot for most of the Games (with Colombia ahead of Brazil at some moments), :BRA comfortably took the lead in the last two days to finish with 11 more gold medals compared to :COL. In fact, the host nation almost lost the second position by the end.

:USA didn't send teams in Athletics and Swimming, but still managed a pretty good result, surpassing :MEX in the last day of competition. I'm sure that was not what Mexico expected, but they still had an amazing showing here winning the most medals among all nations (sadly, almost half of those were silver).

While Mexico still isn't a Olympic powerhouse compared to :CUB, they seem to have cemented their place as the best Central American/Caribbean nation in continental competitions. :ARG as the third best South American nation behind Colombia isn't exactly surprising, but I expect a better showing from them at the main Games in 2023.

Worth noting is :ECU getting their best ever position in 7th, they're certainly on the rise - of course most nations here gained a position at the medal table thanks to the non-interest of :CAN. :URU also did great and maybe that's a good sign they will return to win gold medals at the next Pan Am Games.

31 medalling nations is similar to what we see at Pan American Games (in fact, equal to Lima 2019 and Toronto 2015). Didn't win a single medal: :ANT:BIZ:IVB:CAY:DMA:HAI:JAM:SUR:VIN:ISV

37 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Some considerations about the first Junior Pan American Games. After fighting for the top spot for most of the Games (with Colombia ahead of Brazil at some moments), :BRA comfortably took the lead in the last two days to finish with 11 more gold medals compared to :COL. In fact, the host nation almost lost the second position by the end.

:USA didn't send teams in Athletics and Swimming, but still managed a pretty good result, surpassing :MEX in the last day of competition. I'm sure that was not what Mexico expected, but they still had an amazing showing here winning the most medals among all nations (sadly, almost half of those were silver).

While Mexico still isn't a Olympic powerhouse compared to :CUB, they seem to have cemented their place as the best Central American/Caribbean nation in continental competitions. :ARG as the third best South American nation behind Colombia isn't exactly surprising, but I expect a better showing from them at the main Games in 2023.

Worth noting is :ECU getting their best ever position in 7th, they're certainly on the rise - of course most nations here gained a position at the medal table thanks to the non-interest of :CAN. :URU also did great and maybe that's a good sign they will return to win gold medals at the next Pan Am Games.

31 medalling nations is similar to what we see at Pan American Games (in fact, equal to Lima 2019 and Toronto 2015). Didn't win a single medal: :ANT:BIZ:IVB:CAY:DMA:HAI:JAM:SUR:VIN:ISV

Most of the medals of Uruguay were in rowing and our country dont send delegation there, for internals problems, nothing more to say, excelente sumary of the games Vini.

You add a bunch more non olympic sports + hockey/rugby (absent here) + larger water sports presence + more serious competition in things like Cycling and the result is Colombia probably below Argentina again in Santiago (which won't mean our sport is great, far from it...).

In my opinion, the biggest surprises were:

:MEX winning the most medals overall.
:BOL :PAR and especially :ARU winning gold medals.
:GUY with a medal.
:URU in the top 10.

My biggest disappointments:

:ESA not winning a gold medal. This was their chance.
:DOM placing way lower than I expected.
:CAN with only two medals in gymnastics. They could have won 2 or 3 gold medals here.
:VEN not in the top 10, but of course that was to be expected.