website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Volleyball sucks in Commonwealth countries so I'm gonna take a wild guess Canada is the favorite here? :p

It's beach volleyball not indoor volleyball. Haven't you watched the recent  beach volleyball world championships or at least the 2020 Olympics finals? 

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Volleyball sucks in Commonwealth countries so I'm gonna take a wild guess Canada is the favorite here? :p

It's pretty much a Canada vs. Australia tournament. Maybe England can pull off an upset if they get hot during the tournament. Hoping for Gambia and Vanuatu gets a medal in the men and women events respectively.

To be honest, the discipline is the second least deserving discipline at the games based on quality, behind rhythmic gymnastics.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Australia is the men's favourite. The women's has Canada (of Pavan and Melissa play) and Australia's Olympic medalists.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, just beat me to it. :thumbup:

On a separate note :GAB and :TOG joined the Commonwealth last weekend; probably too late for a Games debut in Birmingham but there's plenty of time to organise a team for the following edition in Victoria State.

2 minutes ago, Edvid said:

On a separate note Gabon and Togo joined the Commonwealth last weekend; probably too late for a Games debut in Birmingham but there's plenty of time to organise teams for the following edition in Victoria State.

I hope rules will be bent to allow them to send a couple of participants, even if a full lawn bowls squad are going to take time to organise. Actually, I will bet there is at least some bowls in Gabon, which has a community of expat oil engineers.

29 minutes ago, Edvid said:

On a separate note :GAB and :TOG joined the Commonwealth last weekend; probably too late for a Games debut in Birmingham but there's plenty of time to organise a team for the following edition in Victoria State.

Gabon has virtually no historical link to the UK unless I'm mistaken. :lol: 

Why would they join the commonwealth? Or is anyone accepted? 

8 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Gabon has virtually no historical link to the UK unless I'm mistaken. :lol: 

Why would they join the commonwealth? Or is anyone accepted? 

They changed the rules a decade or so ago. :RWA:MOZ also have no major connection to :GBR, but they joined when the rules were changed.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela