website statistics

Pan American Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

So 2023 Pan American Games taekwondo competition could possibly see two of the same country in the same event (as the Youth Pan Am Games champion gets an auto pass).

@MHSN thoughts?

Have they released the qualification documents for 2023 yet? It seems about a year too early.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Have they released the qualification documents for 2023 yet? It seems about a year too early.

Not yet, but 2021 champs have an auto pass to 2023, and Pan A Taekwondo leader has said that would be separate to the actual system.

2023 Pan American Games sports program has also been announced this week: https://games24.totallympics.com/?p=1835

Sports dropped: Basque Pelota, Bodybuilding, Bowling, Racquetball, and Squash. Bowling had been on the program since 1991, and this a quite shocking honestly. Squash had been on the program since 1995, and I’m equally shocked by it’s exclusion.

Notably, Sports Climbing and Dancesport have not been added to the program.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

2023 Pan American Games sports program has also been announced this week: https://games24.totallympics.com/?p=1835

Sports dropped: Basque Pelota, Bodybuilding, Bowling, Racquetball, and Squash. Bowling had been on the program since 1991, and this a quite shocking honestly. Squash had been on the program since 1995, and I’m equally shocked by it’s exclusion.

And every major city has some sort of bowling facility. Chile medalled in Lima in squash, so that is surprising as well.

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Agree with Sponsored Doping (or bodybuilding as everyone else knows it)

About Basque Pelota, probably just including 4 events, two in each gender. Trinquete Paleta Goma & Frontenis

As @intoronto shocked they decided to drop Bowling, as there's no need for a new venue and any real city has at least one alley; same for squash and racquetball, since they usually are held at indoor small existing venues.

42 minutes ago, intoronto said:

And every major city has some sort of bowling facility. Chile medalled in Lima in squash, so that is surprising as well.

35 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

About Basque Pelota, probably just including 4 events, two in each gender. Trinquete Paleta Goma & Frontenis

As @intoronto shocked they decided to drop Bowling, as there's no need for a new venue and any real city has at least one alley; same for squash and racquetball, since they usually are held at indoor small existing venues.

Plus, when I think of three sports (or at least tow (Bowling and Racquetball)) that are dominated by Pan American nations, I think of Bowling and Racquetball (and kind of Squash). Our nations have prospered in those sports because of their inclusion in the games. It’s just sad :(

38 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Building courts are expensive. Toronto 2015 almost dropped racquetball and roller sports because of cost of overlay. 

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

Building courts are expensive. Toronto 2015 almost dropped racquetball and roller sports because of cost of overlay. 

Which is why I’m shocked Water Ski and Roller Sports somehow kept their place on the program (which is fine since they’re some of my favorite sports). It’s not like their the cheapest sports! I’d actually love to see the meaningless baseball/softball tournaments taken off in favor of Bowling and Squash.

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Which is why I’m shocked Water Ski and Roller Sports somehow kept their place on the program (which is fine since they’re some of my favorite sports). It’s not like their the cheapest sports! I’d actually love to see the meaningless baseball/softball tournaments taken off in favor of Bowling and Squash.

Baseball/softball's main strong hold is the America.s Water ski is cheap, all you need is a lake lol.

Body Building was expected to go while Basque Pelota is a hit or miss spot, though for Chile I thought they would be relatively okay with it. I had a feeling one of racquetball or squash would miss out, but seeing both was quite surprising. I imagine one of them will sneak back in.

Bowling is very surprising. It's been on the program for a long time and is one of the cheaper venues to build (just add some temporary seating to a bowling alley). The only major reason I can think of is money. It's not a huge spectator sport and the venue holds just a couple hundred seats so even though it doesn't cost a lot, it doesn't make a lot either.