website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA Asian Cup 2022

Totallympics

• 1 year later...

FIBA postponed the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup to July 2022 :wacko:

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-asia-events-calendar-update

terrible news for Iran, for our team that was the main tournament, not the Olympics (sounds crazy but yeah we knew we are going to lose to everybody in Tokyo)

@Griff88 I assume that was a request from Indonesia, right ? because the same FIBA didn't postpone the FIBA women's Asian Cup

23 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I think its Indonesia’s request due to its worsen pandemic situation. Well China will like it as we want to focus on our national games and CBA league this year.

I wish they would announce it earlier, that would change few things for our NT. some of our veterans wanted to retire from the NT after the Asian Cup, I don't think they stick around for another year, so Tokyo will be their last competition.

but 2022 will be crazy, 2023 World Cup qualifiers, this event and the 2022 Asian Games. btw what's the chance of Asian Games not being cancelled/postponed ? is China determined to have that competition or it's more likely to get cancelled ? (which will be very sad)

11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I wish they would announce it earlier, that would change few things for our NT. some of our veterans wanted to retire from the NT after the Asian Cup, I don't think they stick around for another year, so Tokyo will be their last competition.

but 2022 will be crazy, 2023 World Cup qualifiers, this event and the 2022 Asian Games. btw what's the chance of Asian Games not being cancelled/postponed ? is China determined to have that competition or it's more likely to get cancelled ? (which will be very sad)

Beijing2022 and Hangzhou2022 asian games are under preparation smoothly. Our media report the preparation works regularly so I don’t think there is any signal of postponement or cancellation.

I hope the 2022 Asian Games will push through, I was quite disappointed with the sea games in vietnam being cancelled this year but it’s the right thing to do given the current covid situation in southeast asia

Is there a possibility Indonesia withdraw and transfer hosting of this event? 2022 is already full with sporting events AIMAG in March, SEA Games, and Asian Games held in the same year

• 6 months later...

FIBA Asia Cup draw

A) :AUS:JOR:KSA:INA

B) :CHN:KOR:TPE:BRN

C) :IRI:JPN:KAZ:SYR

D) :NZL:PHI:LBN:IND

kind of a boring group for Iran, we will play SYR and KAZ next week during the WC qualifiers. it seems we have to play Syria every single tournament :facepalm:

but based on the knockout round bracket we HAVE to beat Japan to finish 1st in the group and avoid Australia in the QF. this is probably the last tournament for some of our old guys. we had this generation since 2007 and they did great by winning 5 medals already (0 medals before 2007 !) but this is their last hurrah , hopefully they win a bronze at least.

this is also important for host Indonesia, they have to finish in top 8 to qualify for the 2023 World Cup!! that's fiba's requirement to give them the host quota.

@Griff88 is it a sure thing that Indonesia doesn't cancel the tournament in the last minute ? is this sport even popular there ? (I mean the NT level. everybody watches the NBA)

50 minutes ago, MHSN said:

this is also important for host Indonesia, they have to finish in top 8 to qualify for the 2023 World Cup!! that's fiba's requirement to give them the host quota.

@Griff88 is it a sure thing that Indonesia doesn't cancel the tournament in the last minute ? is this sport even popular there ? (I mean the NT level. everybody watches the NBA)

They won’t cancel it for sure. The planned World Cup venue is going to be built regardless of the result (since the old,small Istora is rejected by FIBA - but they let it slide for this FIBA Asia Cup). I felt that our NOC head is planning to host as many sport tournaments as possible to boost future Olympic hosting prospect.

I’d say the national team has quite a lot of followers. The sport is probably 4th most popular here (after football, badminton, and volleyball). Basketball is one of the few sports here that has an active league system with good amount of supporters.

21 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

They won’t cancel it for sure. The planned World Cup venue is going to be built regardless of the result (since the old,small Istora is rejected by FIBA - but they let it slide for this FIBA Asia Cup). I felt that our NOC head is planning to host as many sport tournaments as possible to boost future Olympic hosting prospect.

I’d say the national team has quite a lot of followers. The sport is probably 4th most popular here (after football, badminton, and volleyball). Basketball is one of the few sports here that has an active league system with good amount of supporters.

Thanks, that's interesting, I didn't know basketball in popular there, but I guess I should know, basketball is a popular sport worldwide.

I think it's always good to host sport events. at very least it helps the sport in the country to develop and improve

we don't know what will happen in July. but I hope it will be with spectators. :pope: