website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Champions League 2020 - 2021

Totallympics

On 19/08/2020 at 17:04, Grassmarket said:

One small exception is Scotland, where one English team plays - Berwick Rangers - who are about 70km from the nearest other English team.  I think there’s also N.Irish teams playing in the Irish system.  But obviously all this is because the four British systems existed long before any other organistion.

Doesn't Wrexham play in the English league too? I really wonder whether English fifth tier is better than presumably dominating the Welsh league. Maybe it's too late for a change now.

25 minutes ago, hckosice said:

No one really know what is going on now in this mess ? There some live stream from Klaksvik right now with some players preparing, but I don´t understand a sigle thing @Agger @Wumo please do you understand what they are saying ? will the match be played after all ?

Damn, geo-blocked!  :old:

Is there perhaps some legal formality whereby one team must appear at the appointed time,  and the other team must not before a walkover is awarded?

26 minutes ago, hckosice said:

No one really know what is going on now in this mess ? There some live stream from Klaksvik right now with some players preparing, but I don´t understand a sigle thing @Agger @Wumo please do you understand what they are saying ? will the match be played after all ?

My knowledge of the faroese language is pretty close to 0 :p

8 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Damn, geo-blocked!  :old:

Is there perhaps some legal formality whereby one team must appear at the appointed time,  and the other team must not before a walkover is awarded?

yeah, that´s probably the reason of this whole circus right now, Slovan are already in the plane to Bratislava, meanwhile Klaksvik is in full preparation for the match :lol:

obrázok.png

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Doesn't Wrexham play in the English league too? I really wonder whether English fifth tier is better than presumably dominating the Welsh league. Maybe it's too late for a change now.

Welsh League did not always exist: was only set up in 1992.  Once it was set up, teams had to calculate based in their history, fanbase etc whether it was better to be in one or the other system.  Some clubs that had only ever been in regional Leagues in England transferred to the Welsh League, but the big names - Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham - obviously preferred to stay in the FA.

4 minutes ago, hckosice said:

yeah, that´s probably the reason of this whole circus right now, Slovan are already in the plane to Bratislava, meanwhile Klaksvik is in full preparation for the match :lol:

obrázok.png

Yeah, I’m sure I have seen this before.  They’re an amateur club, probably spread over 50 islands, so won’t turn down the chance for a training session.

and now it is officially confirmed in our medias. LOL

The members of the team of the Slovak champion ŠK Slovan Bratislava could not come to the stadium, because they would violate the quarantine laws in the Faroe Islands.

The home players were warming up right on the field of the KI Klaksvik stadium almost an hour before the start of the match 17:00 local time, the local channel broadcasted a pre-match TV studio with several guests.

However, the opponent was absent, who, according to media reports, had a coronavirus case also in his replacement team.

"We did not get a permit to attend the stadium to play the game, otherwise we could be arrested by the local Faroese police for breaking the quarantine law of the country," Richard Trutz, the sports director of Slovan Bratislava, told to RTVS.

We are still waiting for the final decision of UEFA, which will very probably declare the home team as winner by walkover. If it will happen, Klaksvik will face in the next round the Young Boys Bern from Switzerland.

https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/457376/hraci-sk-slovan-nemohli-nastupit-na-zapase-do-2-predkola-tak-pravdepodobne-postupil-klaksvik/

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Welsh League did not always exist: was only set up in 1992.  Once it was set up, teams had to calculate based in their history, fanbase etc whether it was better to be in one or the other system.  Some clubs that had only ever been in regional Leagues in England transferred to the Welsh League, but the big names - Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham - obviously preferred to stay in the FA.

Well, Cardiff and Swansea finally made it into EPL but Wrexham couldn't even stay in the top four tiers which must be considered a major disappointement.

This is a really fishy situation. Slovakia, one of the least affected and prepared Covid country, to mess up twice? It doesn't add up. I don't know when were the tests taken, but if they were all negative in Slovakia, i'm inclined to think the Faroes are doing some shenanigans to get the forfeit victory. This would be a bad precedent that is happening, because many clubs european season could be ruined, because of stupid ruling.