website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

George_D

Just now, intoronto said:

yes lol

but, why ? Was this sort of known in advance, like, guys we will offer 4 spots in 4 final tournaments, you can host one of them, just pay 2-3 mil. ?

I thought nothing can surprise me anymore during this cycle, I see I was totally wrong

4 minutes ago, hckošice said:

but, why ? Was this sort of known in advance, like, guys we will offer 4 spots in 4 final tournaments, you can host one of them, just pay 2-3 mil. ?

I thought nothing can surprise me anymore during this cycle, I see I was totally wrong

FIBA wants the money.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

FIBA wants the money.

Well, I believe we all want too. :p  But that's no reason to sell Olympic qualifying tournaments orgaizations like somewhere in the market. Damn, now I feel even more sorry for Croatia (and others eventually losing hosts), so much money thrown in vain for nothing

33 minutes ago, hckošice said:

FIBA is known for this. They used to have 4 wildcards picked for the World Championships, and Im sure many countries paid bribes to get one of those slots.

2 hours ago, nenad said:

Serbia and Italy tomorrow for the Olympics. I'd say it's a 50-50 match given how are we playing and in what roster. We really really don't have any plus players on defensive side

don't overestimate Italy...

we're the perfect team to make Marjanovic look Wilt Chamberlain...:yikes: :facepalm:

we only rely on 3-pt shooting...and given the pressure of the event itself (not to mention the fact that we go mad when we face teams from the former Jugoslavija), there's no chance we can keep a high percentage...:coffee:

really, I don't see how we could give any sort of trouble to your team...especially with this roster...:nopompom:

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

don't overestimate Italy...

we're the perfect team to make Marjanovic look Wilt Chamberlain...:yikes: :facepalm:

we only rely on 3-pt shooting...and given the pressure of the event itself (not to mention the fact that we go mad when we face teams from the former Jugoslavija), there's no chance we can keep a high percentage...:coffee:

really, I don't see how we could give any sort of trouble to your team...especially with this roster...:nopompom:

Well, as I said, we have many injuries and are playing poorly. All our main defensive guys are out Jović, Kalinić, Lučić, Lazić.. So we don't have good defenders on the roster, and it's a problem that shows. Bjelica is totaly out of form, Marjanović looks pretty much unplayable on defense, our guards have never been good defenders and we have some black hole type minutes in matches where we dissapear completely. Italy has the tools to make it a game for sure, spreading out our defense playing Melli at the 5, Fontechio is playing great, Polonara can shoot and Mannion looked good so far in the tournament. So, before tournament I said it's around 75% for Serbia to qualify, I would say it's 50-50 now.

58 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Yes, it was well known, it was the case in 2016 as well. You apply for hosting the tournament with your offer, how much money, what is your plan for hosting, which city, which arena, which hotels etc. It should be anonymous and then FIBA decides who wins it. So Serbia won it both for women's basketball and men's basketball and won it also in 2016 for the men.