website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020

Totallympics

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

Korea must be one of the luckiest qualifiers in team sports. First rugby, now this.

Given what happened to Brazil, South Korea had a 2/3 chance to be in a favourable draw. For other sports, it also helps that one of the continent's powerhouse is the host. We saw it in 2016 where it was Argentina in particular (though United States and Canada too) that benefited from the absence of Brazil.

In the end it was the relative poor performances of traditional European powerhouses that gave South Korea an opportunity. Even if we went back to the format we had in 2016 we would have seen :BEL :FRA:SRB  get the first three spots while :BRA:GBR:PUR:KOR fought for the final two spots.

hace 5 minutos, JoshMartini007 dijo:

We saw it in 2016 where it was Argentina in particular (though United States and Canada too) that benefited from the absence of Brazil.

Just the women's handball, the rest will be the same for 2020. For USA and Canada it makes no difference, even more, I think Canada will qualify more sports this year.

9 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Just the women's handball, the rest will be the same for 2020. For USA and Canada it makes no difference, even more, I think Canada will qualify more sports this year.

I meant in general. Argentina had 80 more athletes in their Olympic team between 2012 and 2016 (Golf/Rugby Sevens only accounts for a small portion of that difference). 2020 will have more than 2012, but it'll be a drop from 2016 even taking into account women's handball.

Edited by JoshMartini007

For a moment I feared that head-to-head points difference could be decisive - which could screw Puerto Rico.

Head-to-head points difference would effectivelly open the doors for plenty of results-fixing. It's still possible though - seeing how FIBA thought it was a good idea to have a round robin format where 3/4 teams advance. :crazy:

#banbestmen

I will say, as “crazy” or as convoluted as this qualification system was, it has worked out to where most of the top teams qualify. (Or at least are in a place to be reasonably able to)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela