website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Sadly yeah, i was hoping this topic would begin at the end of the year, or beginning of 2024, but no, we will get "glorious" 2 years of drama. 

It has to start now because of the qualification tournaments. Any kind of debate over the ban in 2024 would make no sense because by that point most Russian athletes would have missed out on a bunch of qualification events and would have no chance winning quotas, unless they get some kind of wildcard, which would be even more insulting for Ukrainians than the ban lift. 

Interesting point raised by Krauchanka. How will the IOC approach the potential participation of “dissident” athletes if BLR/RUS are eligible to send teams. Belarus was already on thin ice with the IOC for political discrimination in athlete selection before the invasion. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Vektor said:

It has to start now because of the qualification . Any kind of debate over  ban in 2024 would make no sense because by that point most Russian athletes would have missed out on a bunch of qualification events and would have no chance winning quotas, unless they some kind of wildcard, which would be even more insulting for Ukrainians than the ban lift. 

Most of the quotas will be awarded in 2024, like it usually is and the ones using some kind of rankings stuff have some additional tournaments in the end as well. They could be added along the way, like any other athletes.

The problem is not that a decision needs to be made now. The problem is that whatever decision is made it won't be the end and we will hear about it until Day 1. People wouldn't stop honking and bonking about it and it will shade every damn event...

Translation

Chairman of the Latvian Olympic Committee Georges Tikmers said that Latvia would not go to the Olympic Games if athletes from Russia and Belarus were allowed to participate in them. 

“The position of Latvia is that if these Olympic Games were held now and it was expected that athletes from Russia and Belarus would take part in them, I think that the Latvian team would not go to these Games,” Tikmers said on the air of Latvian television.

6 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Translation

Chairman of the Latvian Olympic Committee Georges Tikmers said that Latvia would not go to the Olympic Games if athletes from Russia and Belarus were allowed to participate in them. 

“The position of Latvia is that if these Olympic Games were held now and it was expected that athletes from Russia and Belarus would take part in them, I think that the Latvian team would not go to these Games,” Tikmers said on the air of Latvian television.

What a loss for world sports community. 

But jokes aside, just imagine how much unsportsmanlike is to wish that other athletes don't compete. I mean it's just insane. 

On 1/30/2023 at 1:03 PM, Vektor said:

You can't separate politics and sport at the time of such a major military conflict. If you think that this is comparable to the Korean War or the Vietnam War, or any other war since WW2 you are fooling yourself. It's the largest attempted landgrab in Europe since Hitler was defeated, the historical significance of such an event is massive and can't be brushed aside as just yet another war. Making a "safe space" out of the Olympics would be foolish.

And yes, every Russian athlete, every Russian citizen is culpable. I say this as a Hungarian who knows that the fact that I am living in Hungary supports Orbán's system, regardless of how much I hate him. Russia is exactly like Hungary, just on steroids. They are all guilty, just like I will be guilty of being part of Orbán's regime if he does something truly awful, no matter how many times I vote against him. Putin isn't doing this alone. If Russia is like Hungary, the country is rotten to its core. People need to take responsibility for the actions of their nation if they live there and they are part of its society. Putin would have never started this war if the Russian society wouldn't accept such an action. 

Give me a break.

Edited by Sindo

On 1/30/2023 at 1:03 PM, Vektor said:

You can't separate politics and sport at the time of such a major military conflict. If you think that this is comparable to the Korean War or the Vietnam War, or any other war since WW2 you are fooling yourself. It's the largest attempted landgrab in Europe since Hitler was defeated, the historical significance of such an event is massive and can't be brushed aside as just yet another war. Making a "safe space" out of the Olympics would be foolish.

And yes, every Russian athlete, every Russian citizen is culpable. I say this as a Hungarian who knows that the fact that I am living in Hungary supports Orbán's system, regardless of how much I hate him. Russia is exactly like Hungary, just on steroids. They are all guilty, just like I will be guilty of being part of Orbán's regime if he does something truly awful, no matter how many times I vote against him. Putin isn't doing this alone. If Russia is like Hungary, the country is rotten to its core. People need to take responsibility for the actions of their nation if they live there and they are part of its society. Putin would have never started this war if the Russian society wouldn't accept such an action. 

What is so different about this war? Anything besides than the fact that it is not in line with the interests of NATO's leading countries? 

Sanctions are nothing but a tool for preservation of imperialist aspirations of the First world.