website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Interesting historical perspective on the current national flags debate by ITG’s resident historian Philip Barker: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1132697/flags-anthems

He cited the 1981 World Games as example but forgot how athlete parades is done in subsequent World Games...

8 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

He cited the 1981 World Games as example but forgot how athlete parades is done in subsequent World Games...

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It’s a bit off-topic, but I was surprised by the lack of ITG reporters in Birmingham this summer. To my knowledge, I was the only representative of one of the big Olympic publications in town. I got some great interviews other publications didn’t, so I can’t complain, but that was odd to me.

Barker also points out how the FISU does medal ceremonies, but doesn’t add that athletes are still organized by nation and wear national uniforms (for the most part) at the World University Games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Zelenskyy’s statement to Macron about the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics seems to have ruffled a few feathers at the IOC. They came out with this laundry list of statements about the participation of Russian/Belarusian athletes today. 

It seems to both maintain the status quo, while maybe opening the door slightly more to Russian/Belarusian athletes.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

42 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I wonder if Asia will attempt to request more quotas in certain sports if they do take on Russia and Belarus.

but how will Russian athletes enter Olympic qualifications events while they're banned from Olympics :d

Scathing opinion on the IOC’s statement from one of the top U.S. Olympic journalists.

This is absolutely the right path to ruin and spoil the Paris Olympics in advance. The Games will be overshadowed by discussions over Russia because there is definitely a probability that Ukraine will boycott the Games. And if they do, there will be definitely pro/con-discussions about further boycotts. I am desperately destroyed over how IOC and some NOCs can be so stupid to take this risk. Actually, the French Govt. should be interested in clarifying this issue as soon as possible, i.e. before world's mass media start to notice this.