website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

5 hours ago, Dragon said:

DC's views were just those an average French/European in those days - Brundage's views were already discredited when he was still president

Sorry, I need to change it to my style:

De Coubertin's views were just those an average French/European in those days. Brundage's views were just those an average French/European in the days of De Coubertin.

How does anyone living in 2020 know what "an average mindset" of someone like de Coubertin looked like? We're talking Boer Wars and Zulu uprisings where powder guns battled spears and wooden shields. I refuse to believe Englishmen, French and Belgians of that era - all colonial powerhouses - even remotely acknowledged what democracy looked like. This is as useless as Margaret Thatcher quoting Queen Victoria upon the Falklands War breakout and that was almost 40 years ago. I'm shocked the modern progressives bring up aristocrats from 130 years ago as role models to follow. I don't get this at all :dunno:  I thought progressives think colonialism was downright evil but guess not? Long the fooking Empires of the World! :mad:

21 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I'm shocked the modern progressives bring up aristocrats from 130 years ago as role models to follow.

Still beter to bring up a liar as a Prime Minister, a man giving mercy to pedophile as President or a communistic presecutor as Constitutional Court judge.

7 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Still beter to bring up a liar as a Prime Minister, a man giving mercy to pedophile as President or a communistic presecutor as Constitutional Court judge.

10,5 million people disagreed with you so go and figure ;) Civic Platform really shouldn't have raised the retirement age and say there's no money for 500+. It haunts them for 5 years and counting :coffee:  People simply don't care about the Constitutional Court whatsoever :dunno:

3 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Sorry, I need to change it to my style:

De Coubertin's views were just those an average French/European in those days. Brundage's views were just those an average French/European in the days of De Coubertin.

sorry, but I have to change it again...

"De Coubertin's views were just those of an average French/European in those days. Brundage's views were just those of average white people nowadays." :yikes: :rofl: :facepalm: :nopompom:

34 minutes ago, phelps said:

sorry, but I have to change it again...

"De Coubertin's views were just those of an average French/European in those days. Brundage's views were just those of average white people nowadays." :yikes: :rofl: :facepalm: :nopompom:

This is one of those posts where I need the ability to both react with laughing face and crying face. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The IOC is in such hot-water after sharing video from the 1936 Olympics, that we get a rare apology from them.

The 1936 Summer Olympic Games is something Olympic fans seen to have mixed feelings about. Obviously there are people who want to act like they never happened; there are those who want to acknowledge the Games happened, but only in the context of proper history; there are those who want to largely forget the Games, other than the athletic achievements made at them; there are some who want to remember the Games like any other Olympics; and others still that hold various other positions about. 

The problem lies with the IOC here. There’s never really been clear messaging from anyone at the IOC, as to what they want the legacy of the 1936 Summer Olympics to be. The larger Olympic Movement (IOC, IFs, athletes, historians, fans) have never really had a serious conversation about the Games either. They just seem to exist in this weird limbo that people wish to ignore.

Personally, I’m conflicted about how to best recognize the 1936 Summer Olympics. On the one hand, the NAZI’s only hosted it to be the greatest propaganda for their ideology. Plus, Hitler has a large in hand in organizing the Games. It’s also important to remember that Jewish and Black spectators, athletes, and officials were persecuted around the time of the Games. Plus, Roma in Berlin were sent to concentration camps, so that the city wouldn’t look bad to tourists. On the other hand, the Games featured amazing performances and acts of sportsmanship/solidarity. The pursuits of Jesse Owens at the Games are the stuff of legend. He even forged a friendship with a German athlete that showed the true Olympic spirit. The first female Muslim athletes also participated at the 1936 Summer Olympics. And that goes without mentioning the lesser known great moments from the Games.

As a journalist, whenever I write/talk about the 1936 Summer Olympics; it always feels like drinking dirty water. It’s not pleasant; you can’t possibly explain the complexity of the situation, and you know much of your audience has negative feelings about the Games (and rightfully so honestly). 

Bottom line, the 1936 Summer Olympics are a tough subject to deal with.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela