website statistics

Russian Athletes and Teams pathway to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

The message I'm getting is  that the decision on team sports also applies to team events in individual sport.

Which means no gymnastics teams (although that was virtually certain anyway), no teams in fencing or archery, no artistic swimmers, no Medvedev and Rublev teaming up in men's doubles tennis.

I think "team sport" applies to anything that has to be called by the name of the country in the official competition document of the event.  

Like, it applies to team fencing but not to tennis doubles (since a country can have more than one pair in the event you can't call both "Russia", they use the names of the athletes instead). 

Tennis is often used as the example of Russian and Belarussian athletes playing under a neutral flag but from my reading of the qualification criteria, athletes from neither nation would be able to compete at Olympics because their nations have been suspended by the ITF and therefore fall foul of the requirement to be in good standing. Additionally, they have been banned from participating in Davis Cup and Billie Jean King Cup. Even if the ban was lifted at the end of the year, I'm not sure they would have the time to meet the participation requirements. 

On the qualification system, It says athletes can qualify if they have had historical participation /achievements at BJK cup and Davis Cup competitions, and Russia (or the Russian Tennis Federation as they were banned), won both these events in 2021.

Its 99% sure that our NOC will boycott if Russian and Belarusian athletes will be allowed to compete in any way :(

I did read that every single sport federation will decide if let them to compete in Paris and Cortina or not. I guess most of federations will allow them, I'm afraid...

Edited by rybak

1 minute ago, rybak said:

Its 99% sure that our NOC will boycott if Russian and Belarusian athletes will be allowed to compete in any way :(

I did read that every single sport federation will decide if let them to compete in Paris and Cortina or not. I guess most of federations will allow them, I'm afraid...

I don't think we will boycott OG, the backlash from the 1984 boycott that effectively hijacked the 1988 OG as well is still to big. There is nothing to gain from these boycotts and you don't even need hindsight for it anymore. The lessons from 1980 and 1984 have been learned, hell, almost nobody even remembers the African boycott of 1976 tbh, a complete dust in the wind fact right now.

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I don't think we will boycott OG, the backlash from the 1984 boycott that effectively hijacked the 1988 OG as well is still to big. There is nothing to gain from these boycotts and you don't even need hindsight for it anymore. The lessons from 1980 and 1984 have been learned, hell, almost nobody even remembers the African boycott of 1976 tbh, a complete dust in the wind fact right now.

I'm afraid that we will, seeing today's response of our Ministry of Sport and PKOl president, they will want support Ukraine until very end of the war and maybe even after, I'm hoping that most of athletes will talk with heads of every federation and before make any official decision they will listen athletes wishes.

My only hope to see Russia and Belarus not allowed to compete in Olympics at this point, is when USA will decide to boycott Games as well or when French athletes will not want to compete in their home event, but both seems impossible.

I wonder if the IOC plan is ultimately to say that they will let Russian and Belarussian athletes compete but with conditions in place that neither country will accept so that ultimately Russia and Belarus refuse to participate. That would allow the IOC to claim to have the moral high ground. 

47 minutes ago, rybak said:

I'm afraid that we will, seeing today's response of our Ministry of Sport and PKOl president, they will want support Ukraine until very end of the war and maybe even after, I'm hoping that most of athletes will talk with heads of every federation and before make any official decision they will listen athletes wishes.

My only hope to see Russia and Belarus not allowed to compete in Olympics at this point, is when USA will decide to boycott Games as well or when French athletes will not want to compete in their home event, but both seems impossible.

USA will not boycott, NBC paid too much money to broadcast OG to have it without US athletes.

As for Poland, we could have a Civic Platform government in 2024 so whatever the current Minister of Sport says would be immediately rendered useless and it's not worth speculating on until the elections take place.