website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2032 Bid Process

16 hours ago, intoronto said:

Sorry I meant to say recently. Germany's last hosting was in 1972. 

All of the bigger countries have hosted an Olympiad since then. 

Here is a list of countries that have a bigger population than Australia and won’t have hosted summer Olympics between 2000 and 2032:

Spain, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, South Korea, Russia, Canada, India, Mexico, Turkey

Do you really think that Australia should host summer Olympics twice during that period while all the aforementioned countries didn’t even host them once combined?

Of course you could argue that some hosted Winter Olympics recently, but I am not sure why you should throw those two things together.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Do you really think that Australia should host summer Olympics twice during that period while all the aforementioned countries didn’t even host them once combined?

Should they? Perhaps not. Are they the only country of those mentioned that has shown in interest in bidding, and provided a legitimate/realistic (relative) bid? Yes.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Should they? Perhaps not. Are they the only country of those mentioned that has shown in interest in bidding, and provided a legitimate/realistic (relative) bid? Yes.

Why do you feel the need to make absurd statements like that?

a) Of the countries I mentioned Turkey (2020), Italy (2004), Canada (2008) and Spain (2012, 2016, 2020) all handed in bids that got a lot of votes (which is pretty much the definition of handing in a „legitimate“ bid). Germany (2000) and Russia (2012) also bid at one point.

b) How can you judge which countries would have handed in „legitimate“ bids, when those countries weren’t even given the chance to hand in a bid?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

54 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Might as well close this thread since there is no bidding "process" to begin with. Brisbane gets it and everyone else can f### off :p

Agreed. I honestly can’t believe what is going on. Now we might have 3 olympics in a row without a bidding process. Everyone knows that IOC officials are corrupt and always have been, but I can’t believe that they don’t Even bother anymore to hide it, they must feel untouchable. I hope that countries will boycott the 2032 games if there won’t be a fair process to determine the host. Sadly this won’t happen though ...

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Why do you feel the need to make absurd statements like that?

b) How can you judge which countries would have handed in „legitimate“ bids, when those countries weren’t even given the chance to hand in a bid?

I guess it wasn’t clear that I was referring to 2032, apologies.

Well, I’ve read what’s been reported about the possible bids. I’m near certain that all those countries had the opportunity to engage in dialogue with the IOC. I’m not saying that the possibility of a better bid taking shaped isn’t possible; I’m just saying that from what I’ve seen, Brisbane’s bid is best one at the moment.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I guess it wasn’t clear that I was referring to 2032, apologies.

Well, I’ve read what’s been reported about the possible bids. I’m near certain that all those countries had the opportunity to engage in dialogue with the IOC. I’m not saying that the possibility of a better bid taking shaped isn’t possible; I’m just saying that from what I’ve seen, Brisbane’s bid is best one at the moment.

And there won't be another one since IOC has clearly said they prefer Brisbane. So nobody will waste a single penny of public money to bid for something that's already been decided. You got to love democracy, transparency & integrity shown by IOC here? :p

Only Australia really showed advanced interest. Is it fair that they get the games because they were the most advanced? Probably not. Also, if a country is really interested now would be the time to come forth. The games are not locked in Brisbane.

Well there are  16  economies of at least a trillion $US in the world and Australia is on a median wealth per adult  the wealthiest  ( that is a trillion $US  with both Nominal and PPP GDP and median wealth not mean wealth. Australian wealth is widely spread )

It has handled the present pandemic better than any of the other 15 trillion dollar economy countries 

Australia cities have  a distinct lack of no go areas and very  few people live on the streets . This will make a pleasant change after Paris and LA .

Don't think many here are well travelled enough  if I may state the bleeding obvious 

2032 will follow a European and an American Games so a new continent is in order . IOC officials want competence , interest in sport  , a friendly comfortable relaxed atmosphere for athletes and visitors alike    (which certain  European countries have never had  and are probably incapable of having ) 

Financial competence is important -Australian cities have great existing facilities 

Etc etc 

48 minutes ago, rajiv said:

Well there are  16  economies of at least a trillion $US in the world and Australia is on a median wealth per adult  the wealthiest  ( that is a trillion $US  with both Nominal and PPP GDP and median wealth not mean wealth. Australian wealth is widely spread )

It has handled the present pandemic better than any of the other 15 trillion dollar economy countries 

Australia cities have  a distinct lack of no go areas and very  few people live on the streets . This will make a pleasant change after Paris and LA .

Don't think many here are well travelled enough  if I may state the bleeding obvious 

2032 will follow a European and an American Games so a new continent is in order . IOC officials want competence , interest in sport  , a friendly comfortable relaxed atmosphere for athletes and visitors alike    (which certain  European countries have never had  and are probably incapable of having ) 

Financial competence is important -Australian cities have great existing facilities 

Etc etc 

Would you rather sacrifice one child to save two adults or two children to save four adults?