website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2032 Bid Process

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Canada? After Montreal spend 40+ years paying off the 1976 debt? :p Canada ain't hosting the SOG in my lifetime ever again.

Madrid lost three straight times recently and I think they're done with more bids for a while too.

Toronto had bid for 2008

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Canada? After Montreal spend 40+ years paying off the 1976 debt? :p Canada ain't hosting the SOG in my lifetime ever again.

Madrid lost three straight times recently and I think they're done with more bids for a while too.

I'd like to think this is increasingly more likely. However, Toronto/Montreal are currently in discussions with the IOC so who knows.

14 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I'd like to think this is increasingly more likely. However, Toronto/Montreal are currently in discussions with the IOC so who knows.

You think IOC will bankroll the Canadian bid just to keep the Games away from Qatar or Russia? They can get away with this shtick only as long, not to mention four straight Olympics in French/English speaking countries? (Paris, LA, Brisbane, Toronto). That's like zero diversity involved on top of everything else ;)

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

You think IOC will bankroll the Canadian bid just to keep the Games away from Qatar or Russia? They can get away with this shtick only as long, not to mention four straight Olympics in French/English speaking countries? (Paris, LA, Brisbane, Toronto). That's like zero diversity involved on top of everything else ;)

I don't but the with the changes in bidding, you can talk with the IOC about future events too. The COC prefers a summer games, over winter and no surprise in that reasoning.

I hope that Brisbane won’t be the host. The city isn’t glamorous at all and Australia already hosted the Olympics in 2000, a tiny and pretty irrelevant country shouldn’t host the Summer Olympics twice in such a short period. Not sure what other candidates we have, but it’s difficult for me to believe that there wouldn’t be a better option. Also I don’t like the idea of 3 olympics in a row just being handed out without any real bidding process.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

16 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I hope that Brisbane won’t be the host. The city isn’t glamorous at all and Australia already hosted the Olympics in 2000, a tiny and pretty irrelevant country shouldn’t host the Summer Olympics twice in such a short period. Not sure what other candidates we have, but it’s difficult for me to believe that there wouldn’t be a better option. Also I don’t like the idea of 3 olympics in a row just being handed out without any real bidding process.

Too bad the only relevant country that hasn't hosted ( Germany) did not bid

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Too bad the only relevant country that hasn't hosted ( Germany) did not bid

Crazy that this horrible comment got two upvotes ... at least it is a good reminder of who not to take seriously.

a) Germany hosted the Olympics before (Berlin and Munich)

b) You have no idea which countries I consider relevant

c) Germany is actually planning to bid for the Olympics in 2032 and has bid for Olympics between 2000 and now

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

33 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

A country finishing in the top 10 at every Summer Olympics since 1992 is irrelevant at the games?

Haha...

I wasn’t talking about sporting relevance (which you would have known if you would have bothered to ask instead of making assumptions). I was referring to political relevance/population size. Countries like Austria or Switzerland are also regularly doing great at Winter Olympics, but that doesn’t mean that they should host Olympics twice in such a short period. 
The Netherlands are a comparable country, but no one would think that they should host the Olympics two times out of nine editions.

11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I was referring to political relevance/population size.

6th in size by area, 13th in GDP, 55th in population. Brisbane also hosted the World Expo in 1988.

I think calling them irrelevant is quite harsh. I do agree that other countries should be given a fair chance to mount a bid for 2032, but there hasn’t really been a better bid floated.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela