website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2032 Bid Process

23 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

running and then ruining again...

Yes, that would be a concern. I feel as though the Balkans are a bit more stable nowadays (which I’m sure isn’t true, but I haven’t heard much about the region as of late), but I bet it won’t stay that way.

At least the Bosnians, and some other teams have been able to use the track for summer training. The FIL even sent someone to record the training for Instagram this year (athletes didn’t seem to mind the condition of the track).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Griff88 I do hope Indonesia is really prepared to host the games should they somehow win this bid. Western media will rip your poor country apart, especially once more people find out about places like Aceh. 

No need Aceh actually, give them a few pictures from "daerah kumuh" in Jakarta and they can make a whole story like Rio 2016 with the favela residents

That's why I support all bids except the one from my own country :evil:

25 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

No need Aceh actually, give them a few pictures from "daerah kumuh" in Jakarta and they can make a whole story like Rio 2016 with the favela residents

Sometimes I feel like everyone supports all the bids not from their country. I of course was over-the-moon when LA was confirmed as host for 2028. LA games are famous for being sustainable, so 2028 should be great :thumbup:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

2032 is still a long time to go, lots of things may change. I think Summer Olympic will make Indonesia more open-minded, also it is a good stimulation for Indonesia  both economically and geopolitically. Indonesia definitely has its potential to be a major economy in 15-20 years. The living standard, people's income and city skyline of Beijing is totally different from 1996 to 2008. Jakarta could repeat its story i think.

6 hours ago, Dnl said:

Not to be the buzz killer or self centered but how will it work if Indonesia has no relationship with Israel and is not allowing Israeli citizens in its borders?

Just write a bullshit guarantee that you will assure the entry and the safety of Israelis for the Olympics only. 

But actually by regulations, Israelis can enter Indonesia as long as they have completed the paperworks (unlike Malaysia for example, which is 100% impossible). And for athletes they are not allowed to have the flag or the word "Israel" at their uniforms. In the reality however, it's not that easy.

If you know the Misha Zilberman case when he participated in 2015 BWF World Championships in Jakarta. Even though he had done all the needed stuff, he is still rejected. Fortunately the organizers and BWF quickly responded, get his visa issued, and pick him up from Singapore. The islamic radicals already threaten the disrupt the event, sending death threats to the head of the organizer. Organizer also switched his court and delay his schedule a bit so by the time someone check the venue, Misha is already done and safe in the hotel.

Weeks before Asian Games I meet the former Sports Minister, and I asked him "What are you going to do with Israeli flags at the venue?". He replied, "We'll ask IOC to give us dispensation since it is our stance." (lol wtf). I already got stared by others by asking that. Our government keep campaigning for 2032 but they keep silent about how they will deal with Israel....

33 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

2032 is still a long time to go, lots of things may change. I think Summer Olympic will make Indonesia more open-minded, also it is a good stimulation for Indonesia  both economically and geopolitically. Indonesia definitely has its potential to be a major economy in 15-20 years. The living standard, people's income and city skyline of Beijing is totally different from 1996 to 2008. Jakarta could repeat its story i think.

Yeah venues can be built and athletes can be trained.

But talking about open-mindedness, I think it is very difficult. People here are getting more and more conservative. They are not ready. I might sound super pessimistic but it is the current reality.

18 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Yeah venues can be built and athletes can be trained.

But talking about open-mindedness, I think it is very difficult. People here are getting more and more conservative. They are not ready. I might sound super pessimistic but it is the current reality.

It’s not an isolated trend. We’ve seen a move of both people to the far-right and far-left. I think it’s a direct consequence of social media and mass communication personally, but it’s a major issue. My generation will be the furthest left the United States has ever seen. My father’s generation may end up being one of the furthest right in US history.

What will you do Indonesia becomes some crazy Islamic state? I’m assuming you don’t really have a backup option? The trend of developing countries turning away from democracy and tolerance is quite worrying.

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s not an isolated trend. We’ve seen a move of both people to the far-right and far-left. I think it’s a direct consequence of social media and mass communication personally, but it’s a major issue. My generation will be the furthest left the United States has ever seen. My father’s generation may end up being one of the furthest right in US history.

What will you do Indonesia becomes some crazy Islamic state? I’m assuming you don’t really have a backup option? The trend of developing countries turning away from democracy and tolerance is quite worrying.

It won't happen till 2024 at least ;) Even longer if the ruling coalition wins again.

Where should I move? Singapore? Taiwan? Or back to my ancestors in Fujian? Time will tell

18 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

It won't happen till 2024 at least ;) Even longer if the ruling coalition wins again.

Where should I move? Singapore? Taiwan? Or back to my ancestors in Fujian? Time will tell

As long as you don’t chew gum or feel a huge need for free speech, Singapore is a nice option :p

Honestly, I’d go for one of the Oceanic nations.