website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process

hckošice

7 hours ago, Vektor said:

So many "potential host". But I think we should all know that if Seoul wants this, they will easily win 2036 SOG without any contest just like how Brisbane did. It's a no brainer, IOC will take the easiest, savest route, and that is going to be Seoul. The only other option is Berlin, but I kinda doubt that the Germans will take that bid seriously. But if that happens, I think IOC will just pull another Paris/LA and reward both Seoul and Berlin with 2036 and 2040. 

IOC will rotate the Summer Games between the same couple of wealthy countries until the end of time, unless none of them will bid

:USA  :CHN  :GBR  :FRA  :GER  :JPN  :KOR  :AUS 

Plus maybe :ESP  at some point and hopefully :IND  some day. The rest will likely never host a modern Summer Games.

A lot of these "interested parties" will move further into the process and some will undoubtedly drop out once they realize what is required to host an Olympics.  No, Seoul is not a no brainer by any stretch of the imagination.  We'll see how much support the Germany bid has (and remember it's Rhine-Ruhr, not specifically Berlin).  Yes, it's possible we're headed towards a future where only a handful of countries can host the Olympics.  Given the IOC's requirements, a lot of that is on them, but at least hopefully this "new norm" version of thinking will make it easier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ruling party in India Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) released a manifesto for Gujarat state elections promising to build world-class sporting infrastructure and host Olympics in 2036.
https://thebridge.in/olympics/2036-bjp-gujarat-election-manifesto-sports-infra-37494

The largest city in Gujarat, Ahmedabad already has the largest stadium in the world with capacity 132,000. The state also hosted the 2022 National Games where almost all the Olympic sports and indigenous sports were played

https://nationalgamesgujarat.in/

58 minutes ago, dullard said:

Can Narendra Modi Stadium even fit an athletics track? Seems like it's not long enough.

No, 'Narendra Modi Stadium' is built specifically for Cricket so its unlikely to have an Athletics Track. During National Games, Athletics were held in IIT Gandhinagar's campus (Engineering College). However, construction for a sports complex called 'Sardar Patel Sports Enclave' was announced in 2021. It shall have stadiums for football, hockey, athletics, aquatics, indoor sports like basketball and volleyball.
https://www.deshgujarat.com/2021/02/24/coming-up-a-236-acre-sardar-patel-sports-enclave-the-sports-capital-of-india-at-motera-in-gujarat/

22 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Isn't the largest stadium the 150 000 National Stadium in North Korea :p

They have removed the long bleachers in a big renovation around 2014 or 2015. After that renovation, it is estimated that only 114,000 seats remaining in Rungnado

• 1 month later...

India is ready to bid for 2036 Olympics.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/india-ready-to-bid-for-2036-olympics-anurag-thakur/articleshow/96551688.cms

So the usual questions that people brought up recently:

1) Weather. I assume it will be too hot & humid to host Olympics in July/August so welcome September/October.

2) The conflict in Kashmir still going on? I suppose nobody cares?

3) Caste system still practised despite technically out-lawed. Human right lobbyists should love this? Or not? I suppose nobody cares either?

13 hours ago, Monzanator said:

India is ready to bid for 2036 Olympics.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/india-ready-to-bid-for-2036-olympics-anurag-thakur/articleshow/96551688.cms

So the usual questions that people brought up recently:

1) Weather. I assume it will be too hot & humid to host Olympics in July/August so welcome September/October.

2) The conflict in Kashmir still going on? I suppose nobody cares?

3) Caste system still practised despite technically out-lawed. Human right lobbyists should love this? Or not? I suppose nobody cares either?

1) Weather in July/August in Ahmedabad is decent. 

2) Jammu and Kashmir is very far from Ahmedabad. The number of terrorist incidents in J&K are at an all-time low. And with the Pakistani economy in doldrums, there is reason to believe that we should not see an uptick in the violence. 

3) Do you even have any idea about caste? Please try and read before making such broad and idiotic comments. 

I would like to see the olympics in the countries that never were hosts before.

It won't be easy, but it's worth trying.

I would like to see olympics in Poland ofc.

But if it's not possible, i would like to see them in Africa. :RSA would be the best choice.

Good for watching at home for me, the same timezone like CET I think, and maybe not in the European Summer, when there is lots to do even when there's no olympics.

:IND :INA :EGY :ARG :HUN :UAE :DEN :SEN :MAR :NZL would be very interesting as well. 

I don't see it happen in the near future though, but one can dream. And hopefully I'm wrong here and it will happen.

Edited by rafalgorka