website statistics

Motorcycle Racing FIM Grand Prix 2023

Totallympics

Lots of injuries during the first weekend in Portimao. Pol Espargaro crashed into the wall in practice, Enea Bastianini suffered a broken collarbone in the sprint after Luca Marini took him out and now Marc Marquez with a total bonehead move in the GP which took out Miguel Oliveira at high speed. Let's see if he gets a penalty for that one. Should be pitlane start since that was highly dangerous.

Down in Moto3 Joel Kelso suffered a broken ankle after he crashed into the back of race winner Daniel Holgado after the finish line. He was busy taking down his tear-off visor and didn't look what was ahead of him :wacko:

Marquez needs to be taken out of MotoGP by now. It's truly a shame, because in terms of raw talent he is obviously amazing beyond words, but ever since his injuries all he does is go around like a raging bull, dropping others left and right with - as you described - total bonehead moves. It's really a shame, but this can't go on or else we'll end up with worse than a bruised Oliveira.

And Kelso....yeah. For those who've seen That 70's Show, I guess it's in the name :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Ironically, Oliveira has been declared fit, whereas Marquez might well miss the next race due to a hand injury sustained in this move.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Setting aside the Sprints debacle, the people at Dorna have also fumbled the calendar.. Why have these people put half the calendar in September - November :facepalm:  I don't know what genius thought, that only 3 races in April-May is good, when this is the best period. Spring-summer is the most exciting period in the motorsport season, after the long winter layouts. By September things are winding down and when October hits people are switching their interests to other things and are just waiting for the end of the season. 3 of those Asian races could have been slotted in the March-May period easily.

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Setting aside the Sprints debacle, the people at Dorna have also fumbled the calendar.. Why have these people put half the calendar in September - November :facepalm:  I don't know what genius thought, that only 3 races in April-May is good, when this is the best period. Spring-summer is the most exciting period in the motorsport season, after the long winter layouts. By September things are winding down and when October hits people are switching their interests to other things and are just waiting for the end of the season. 3 of those Asian races could have been slotted in the March-May period easily.

Well, all these Far East races can't be held in April-May since this is the monsoon period AFAIK? Japanese Grand Prix used to be held in April in the 90s and it rained literally every other year :crazy:  Malaysia was either scorching hot or rain. Putting Argentina and COTA in April is actually reasonable enough. Austria used to be in the spring in the 90s but now the F1 Grand Prix isn't held in August anymore so they can't really stack up Red Bull Ring in back-to-back months? Adding a second UK race in May would make sense but it's not really happening since most UK riders are focused on Superbike racing these days.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, heywoodu said:

Ironically, Oliveira has been declared fit, whereas Marquez might well miss the next race due to a hand injury sustained in this move.

Oliveira will miss the Argentine GP as well. A terrible opening weekend all around, FOUR MotoGP riders injured so the bike count will be down to 18 next weekend.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:27 PM, Federer91 said:

To be fair, which other things is the general public waiting for in October? I highly doubt a significant portion of MotoGP fans is going to skip races to watch a ski jumping or alpine skiing World Cup :p 

I'm of course in favour for a more balanced season, don't get me wrong, but I doubt it would matter much in terms of general viewing numbers.

Edited by heywoodu

:ITA Marco Bezzecchi wins his first MotoGP race in Argentina! In the wet no less! :yes After Bastianini he's like my favorite rider so good to see him getting that first win so early in the season!

Zarco in 2nd - 16 podiums and still no MotoGP wins. Bagnaia dropped it out of 3rd and finished 16th.