website statistics

Speed Skating ISU World Championships 2023

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The main thing is that he wasn't good enough to make it into the Dutch junior teams back in the day, and so he choose the GB way to compete internationally. Excellent choice, because he's been steadily improving season by season and especially this season is really showing his talent. So much that a bronze is a bit of a surprise, sure, but not even a huge sensation anymore, which says quite a lot about how good his development has been!

Lives in Heemstede, I believe, for what it's worth :p 

Yep, although I'm surprised he doesn't have a particularly Dutch accent, at least to my ear. I guess it comes from being brought up in a household with a Dutch father and a mum from Islington. Maybe this is what you get when you cross a Dutch accent with a north London accent. 😊

I was never able to confirm if  this was true but, a few years ago, I was told that there were other Dutch skaters who also held a British qualification who were closer to making the Dutch national team than Kersten was.

It's pretty common for Roest to be totally collapsed after November or so, but he's been pulling it later and later, at least this time he postponed it to March :d 

Incredible race for Ghiotto and Schouten today (and the whole women's 5k was fantastic). Ghiotto's race showed why only fools who have no clue about the sport (i.e. important people, sadly) would want to even think about getting rid of the 10k, what a race.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Incredible race for Ghiotto and Schouten today (and the whole women's 5k was fantastic). Ghiotto's race showed why only fools who have no clue about the sport (i.e. important people, sadly) would want to even think about getting rid of the 10k, what a race.

Meh, this 10k was strangely uneventful. I fell asleep twice.

#banbestmen