website statistics

[POLL] How do You Prefer the Olympic Medal Table Sorted by?

vlad

[POLL] How do You Prefer the Olympic Medal Table Sorted by?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. [POLL] How do You Prefer the Olympic Medal Table Sorted by?

Just now, phelps said:

competition is only about winning, sport is only about Gold medals...I think there's actually no need for a poll like this...

Yeah. Silver and bronze medals were probably designed as a consolation prize anyway.

#banbestmen

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

Then why bother with silver or bronze medals, why not give them a certificate like 4th-8th place?

Because I think the general idea is to present the best three in each event. Still, I don't believe any sportsperson actually dreams about winning silver or bronze medals. Sure, there are competitions where gold medals are basically predetermined, but the general idea is that everyone strives for a gold medal...

#banbestmen

Sorted by gold is the best and most interesting system. Although a points based system gives a more accurate picture of the performance of x nation, there is no fun in that. 

The fact that Fiji with 1 gold medal might finish ahead of a Belarus or a Sweden who may win a few medals but no golds is something endearing and why I love medal tables.

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

Then why bother with silver or bronze medals, why not give them a certificate like 4th-8th place?

as @dcro wrote, they are consolation prizes, which are not to be refused or underestimated, but still, they're just a "consolation" for those who do well, but don't get the real target, the one they dreamed of, the one they trained for...

in any situation, in any scale there's always a bigger unit...and this must always be the main evaluation factor...then, you can also make a more accurate, a deeper analysis looking at the small details, but you must start from the main feature...

Gold medals first, of course. Any medal counts, but if one earns gold for his/her nation, this should be displayed first, even if it's only one gold medal compared to ten bronze medals.

That being said, silver and bronze medals are extremely important, especially for smaller nations. However, I dislike sports where they give out two bronze medals because you basically allow someone who should finish fourth to brag about a medal. 

Just now, LDOG said:

Yeah, unless it's a mark sport and there is a tie in the score/time, only one bronze should be given.

Even when there's a tie, I'm always favorable to a tie-breaking system. In swimming and athletics they could count the qualifying time also to break ties. There's absolutely no reason go award two gold, silver or bronze medals.

50 minutes ago, phelps said:

competition is only about winning, sport is only about Gold medals...I think there's actually no need for a poll like this...

It's not like the IOC is going to base their decisions on it :p Since you can see who votes what, we can see who is just wrong :banana: 

Spoiler

c5ei03z.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

52 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah. Silver and bronze medals were probably designed as a consolation prize anyway.

Not entirely, silver was actually the medal they gave to the winners at first :d (with copper for the runners-up)

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!